Sunday, October 28, 2007

Happy Birthday Megan and Maggie!

Four of our eight grandchildren have October birthdays. In fact, SEVEN of the eight have birthdays in the eleven week period between September 24 and December 11! In addition, Roy, his brother and sister-in-law also have November birthdays; our daughter, Lisa, has a December birthday; our wedding anniversary is November 27th; and then, of course, you add Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas to that mix and you have a busy season of family celebrations that begins in September and continues pretty steadily for the next three months. Roy reminds me at least twice a day that we are now "retired" and living on a "fixed income". Did I just say I was grateful for the blessing he is in my life??? Hmmm!

Since four of our grandchildren live locally, we have the privilege of sharing celebrations (like the munchkins' birthday) with them in person. But for the other four - two each in two different states more than 800 miles from us (and each other) - we have the privilege of long-distance grandparenting. That often means mailing packages (and hoping the arrive in time) and then talking on the telephone.

Our youngest granddaughter, Megan, was four on October 3rd. On the left is a snapshot of her taken in May, showing off her new earrings. On the right, she and her sister, Mira are visiting with Roy's mother when they were here last August.





Megan is an adorable little effervescent bundle of energy and enthusiasm. Please don't tell her she's only four. She thinks she's about 14. (And you would too if you could see the beautiful birthday portrait of her I received in the weekend mail ... but since it's copyrighted, I can't post it - SIGH). I took her in Claire's at the Mall when they were here this summer and she was so opinionated as to which earrings were good looking and which were "yucky" that the clerk asked me how old she was and then responded to my answer with the evaluation, "Well, this little girl is going to be a SERIOUS shopper when she's grown!" GRIN! I'm betting she will too .... and with her winsome smile and big blue eyes, I'm betting she'll always have someone around willing to buy what she wants! Ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, and she replies, "A KNOCKOUT!" How cute is that? She's well on her way!

The truth is, because I am with Hallie & Race so much, it makes me realize how much of Megan and Mira's life I miss because they live so far away. That makes me sad but it also makes me treasure the times I DO have with them all the more. I makes me hold the memories of things they say and do in a very special place in my heart. Each time, they are here, I hear their voices in my mind for weeks afterward. Here it is the end of October and, sentimental grandmother that I am, I still haven't been able to bring myself to wash the carport where Megan created her abstract art with sidewalk paint more than two months ago! I see it and think of her every time I walk in and out of the house.

One thing I have learned over the years: Miles may separate me physically from some of my grandchildren but that doesn't lessen my love for them nor my spirit connection with them. I have learned that I can totally trust them to God's loving care with full knowledge that He loves them even more than their parents and grandparents and that He has a wonderful plan for their lives. As their grandmother, it is my privilege - and JOY - to pray daily for God's hand of blessing to be evident in their lives.

And pray for them, I do ... all eight of them. I have learned to pray for them from their head to their toes. I pray that God will bless their mind and help them fix their thoughts on what is true, good, right and lovely. I pray that they will think about all the ways God blesses them and be thankful for His goodness to them. (Phil. 4:8) I pray that God will bless their eyes and help them always see clearly the difference between right and wrong and be inwardly pure so that others will not find fault with them. (Phil. 1:10) I pray that God will bless their ears and cause them to hear His words with their hearts, not just their heads. (Ps. 78:1) I pray that God will bless their mouth and sweeten their words to say only the things that are good and helpful and a blessing to others. (Eph. 4:29) I pray that God will bless their bones and cause them to rejoice in Him so that the joy of the Lord is their strength. (Neh. 8:10) I pray that God will bless their heart and enable them to obey God's commandment to love Him with all their heart, soul and strength. (Deut. 6:5) I pray that God will bless their arms and be gracious to them, being their arm every morning and their salvation in any time of trouble. (Isa. 33:2) I pray that God will bless their hands and guide them to be believers who regularly lift their hands to Him in prayer. (Ps. 63:4) I pray that God will bless their legs and help them walk by faith as they look to Him and not by sight. (2 Cor. 5:7) I pray that God will bless their feet and hold them on His path for them. (Ps.66:9)

Megan and Mira are the second set of M&M sisters to afford Roy and me the opportunity for long distance grandparenting. The first set, Mallory & Maggie are now 18 and 15, respectively.



Here's the four "M" cousins at times they've been together: on the left, July 2004; on the right, May 2006.

Maggie had her 15th birthday this week (October 24th) and I am confronted with what a terrible job I often do of long-distance grandparenting. No package got in the mail (just an assurance from her mom "I'll take her shopping and let you know - you can send me a check."). I thought of her all day Wednesday - phoned her at lunch but she wasn't home - called back that night and missed her again so I just left a message on their machine. UGH! Then, Thursday, the virus took its turn at me and that's all I've got to say about that ....
So Maggie's 15th birthday has come and gone with no connection between us and my heart is filled with missing her and thinking about her. She got to come with her parents for a weekend last month and she and I had a delightful day being "girly girls" at the Mall while her parents attended Ole Miss' homecoming.


Maggie was born in Fairbanks, Alaska while her dad was stationed at Eilson AFB. Flying into Fairbanks for her birth was an experience this "Florida born-Mississippi transplant" grandmother will never forget. I've never seen that much snow in all my life (before or since!). Lori had assured me they kept the roads (and runways) clear but you literally could see nothing but snow and ice until the plane's wheels touched the ground!


For months Lori and I had fretted about exactly when I needed to schedule my flights so that I'd be sure to be there when the baby came (though I'll readily admit to fretting MUCH more than my "take it as it comes" daughter). Maggie cooperatively made her entrance into the world and our family only 30 hours after I arrived! She had a sweet spirit about her from the start and we all marveled once again at the sheer perfection of God's design in the perfection of a newborn. Alaska, however has its own set of challenges. When we shopped, we dragged that little seven pound bundle of joy in and out of 17 below zero temperatures. I wondered then if we needed our heads examined. Now I KNOW we did!


At left is a snapshot of Maggie when she was almost a year old. It's one of many in my photo album that bears the same expression. Maggie came to us with a contagiously joyful personality that continues to this day. I have a children's Christmas book and video about a little magical Christmas tree ornament named NOEL. Noel has a "happiness" inside because his glassblower creator received joyful news of a granddaughter's birth while he was making the ornament and his tear of joy and love was captured inside the ornament. Noel's "happiness" warms the Christmas season year after year and he becomes the one special ornament that is handed down through the years from generation to generation. I've always told Maggie that she reminds me of Noel because she too has a "happiness" inside. She is a precious gift from her Creator who has warmed every season of our lives since the day God blessed us with her.


At 15, Maggie has become one of the loveliest young women I've ever known (though I'll admit to being just a "wee" bit prejudiced)! I am immeasurably proud of her. In the photo at left she (on the right) is pictured with her life-time best friend and most trusted confidant, her sister, Mallory. She is loving and giving .... just ask any of her dozens of BFF's .... our supremely social, Maggie! She is capable and hard working. She is two years ahead in her home school studies from where she would be had she stayed in public school and has already scored high enough on standardized tests for admission to any college in the country. She can clean the house, do laundry, cook, etc. as well as any adult woman around - and better than some! And she's coordinated enough to operate her dad's zero turn radius lawn mower ... if you've ever operated one, you know it's not a terribly easy task (she's their family's resident lawn care expert). This klutzy Gran is impressed!

But, at 15, Maggie is NOT a "typical teenager". I say that "tongue in cheek". What Maggie IS is respectful and trustworthy and, unfortunately, those aren't characteristics ascribed to most teens today. Maggie is a talented young woman. She is an accomplished guitarist and learning more every day. She sketches and paints beautifully. She sews and quilts gorgeous original creations and her quilter mother says she has a better "eye" for color than she does. She has quite a flair for decorating and a real penchant for organization.

These are only a few of the things that could be said to describe Maggie and hardly do justice to capturing the true essence of this remarkable 15 year old delight. I guess the thing I am most pleased to say about my precious granddaughter is that she is a godly young woman. Maggie has a genuine and personal love for God that makes a difference in the decisions she makes, the way she dresses, the friends she chooses and the way she lives her life. What a wonderful source of joy she is to her parents, sister, grandparents and all who know her!

This was my prayer for Maggie on her 15th birthday. Father, out of Your glorious and unlimited resources, I ask You to give Maggie the mighty inner strengthening of Your Holy Spirit. I pray that Jesus will be more and more at home in her heart as she grows in intimacy in her relationship with Him and learns to trust Him completely. I pray that Maggie's roots will go down deep into the soil of Your marvelous love and that she will begin to grasp its depth. I pray that she will be filled with the fullness of You, Lord, and have a constant consciousness of Your presence. Bless and keep her, Lord, today and every day. (Eph. 3:16-19)

No comments: