Saturday, October 6, 2007

Who Do You Trust?

May I take a moment to sincerely thank you, as readers, for the service you provide me as I write this blog. Your comments immeasurably bless me. I am filled with joy as I picture some of your faces while I write. I feel privileged to pray for you when the Lord brings you to my mind.

Writing the blog gives me wonderful opportunities to recount some of the things God has done and is currently doing in my life ... to meditate on His wonderful faithfulness ... to reaffirm the commitments He's led me to make. In doing these things, it provides me a measure of accountability - something we ALL need. So, thank you for allowing God to use you as a point of accountability for me.

We really DO need each other, don't we? I read a quote this week that said, "People heal in authentic, God-centered relationships and families - and people without these resources recover much more slowly, if at all." It made me think about how much I isolated myself from meaningful relationship when I was in the throes of my depression. I'm sure that contributed to the length of time I wandered in that dark, dry wilderness.

God created us for relationship. Relationship with Him and relationship with others. How are the relationships in your life?* Who can you trust? Find that "safe" someone to share your burdens with. Be open and honest.

*I have a list of questions in the opening section of my prayer notebook. Once a week I ask God to guide my thoughts as I ask myself the following accountability questions:

SPIRIT:
  • Have I spent time daily in the Word?
  • What has THE WORD (Jesus) spoken to me?
  • What has the Spirit of God done in my prayer life?
  • What opportunities for ministry has God given me?
  • Have I worshiped corporately in church services?

BODY:
  • Am I eating healthy foods, in healthy amounts?
  • Have I been adventuresome with new foods or recipes?
  • Have I maintained my weight?
  • How much have I exercised?
  • Has my exercise been varied and fulfilling?
  • Have I remembered to take my vitamins & supplements?

SOUL:
  • How are the relationships in my life?
with my husband?
with my children?
with my grandchildren?
with my mother and other extended family members?
with my friends?
  • Have I received any personal encouragement/challenge/or affirmation ...
through something I've read?
through an activity?
through spoken words?
  • What have I done that gave me an opportunity for creative expression?

This is not an all inclusive list by any means. These are just a few areas God has shown me where I have not exhibited good stewardship in the past. It serves me well to hold myself up to accountability before Him in these areas if I regularly ask myself the questions.

Galatians 6:2 says: "Bear one another's burdens ..." Ask God to give you someone you can share with ... someone who will encourage you ... someone who will pray for you ... someone who will help you be accountable ... someone who will help carry your burdens.

No comments: