Friday, October 12, 2007

Okay, So How Blind Am I?

I was standing at my kitchen sink a few minutes ago swallowing the hand full of vitamins this old body seems to need these days and looking out the window. In a backyard neighbor's yard, I saw a large Dalmation sitting at attention with his head tilted to one side - but VERY still. (That should have been my first clue - Dalmations are seldom still!) I thought to myself, "Hmmm - I didn't know they had a Dalmation. The dog I hear barking back there sounds MUCH smaller." Now, before I tell the rest of this embarassing tale on myself, you have to understand that my kitchen window has a solar reflective screen on it, which blurs things a bit. Also, bushes along the fence line further obstucted my vision of the "Dalmation"; so I moved to the window on the dining room door where I'd have a better line of sight of this beautiful large dog. Guess what he turned out to be ... the back of a poolside lounge chair!!! ROFL Good grief!! How blind am I??? I've been thinking a lot lately about replacing my glasses with contact lenses. But now I'm guessing the contact lenses would have to be so thick I wouldn't be able to close my eyelids! I think I'm WAY past due for a visit to the opthamologist. What do you think?



Though the whole silly incident started my day with a good laugh, it reminded me of a scripture passage I read yesterday. Luke 4:16-21 tells about Jesus teaching in the synagogue in Nazareth and reading the words of Isaiah (61:1-2) from the scroll which prophetically declared the nature of His ministry. In this passage (v.18), He said He would give recovery of sight for the blind. Certainly, Jesus did restore sight to many who were physically blind during His earthly ministry, but the prophesy may have far more to do with restoration of spiritual sight than simply physical blindness.

2 Corinthians 4:4 says: "The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God." The Greek word used by both Luke and Paul in these passages literally means: "to envelop with smoke, to be unable to see clearly."



Even as believers, I think we sometimes embrace a spirit of unbelief that keeps us from seeing clearly. I began to think how the enemy distorts my spiritual vision in the same way the solar reflective screen blurred a chair in my neighbor's yard and made it look like a dog to me. Too often, I allow the adversary to use circumstances in my life or my rampant emotions as a smoke screen that clouds my vision of what God is trying to accomplish in my life.

Other times, Satan will put an obstacle in the way of my seeing God - like the fence line bushes prevented me from fully viewing the chair. When I moved to another window where I had a clearer line of sight this morning, I was able to see my error. It's the same way when the enemy is using an obstacle ... like a "trial" - or perhaps a relationship - or perhaps something I've allowed to become an "idol". The enemy's job is to keep us blinded to the One who loves us and gave Himself for us and he will place any obstacle at his disposal in our way. Sometimes we have to move to another window. We have to get ourselves in a position to see God's promises in His word and stand on them.

When I am in the midst of some of the "trouble" Jesus told us we would have in this world I often let Satan's smoke screens obstruct my vision. I forget that Jesus promised I can "take heart" and have peace right in the midst of the world's trouble because He has overcome the world. (John 16:33) Sometimes I need to adjust my line of vision away from a relationship, or an "idol" that has preempted His place in my heart and obstructed my vision. Focusing on His word that reminds me to seek FIRST His kingdom and His righteousness brings back the perspective I've temporarily misplaced. (Matt. 6:33) Sometimes it's as simple as fanning Satan's smoke away from my "circumstance" and fixing my eyes on Jesus. (Heb. 12:2) Jesus has always been faithful through His word to heal my spiritual blindness. He will never leave us nor forsake us. (Heb. 13:5) He is there even when Satan has the smoke so thick we can't see Him. "He sent forth his word and healed them, and delivered them from their destruction." Psalms 107:20

Do you know how wonderful 2 Corinthians 4:4 is to pray for the lost? ("The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.") Isn't it funny sometimes the images the Holy Spirit will pull from our memory banks in connection with a scripture. In St. Augustine, Florida (where I was born) tourists are chauffered to all the historical attractions in horse drawn surreys. Most of the horses wear "blinders" around their eyes so that their driver can direct their attention where he wants it and keep them from being distracted by traffic alongside them. I've watched them trot down the streets of the "Ancient City" all my life. When I pray this scripture for someone who doesn't know Christ as their Savior, I usually picture them as having blinders (like the horses) on their eyes and Satan (like the surrey drivers) directing them to see only what he wants them to see. I ask God to remove the blinders and turn their face toward Him, and let them see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ Jesus.

Have you looked at any "Dalmatians" lately that turned out to be lounge chairs? Is there something obstructing your spiritual vision right now?Ask God to send the fresh wind of His Spirit today to blow away Satan's "smoke" in your life and restore your sight.

No comments: