Saturday, October 6, 2007

Think Consistency - Not Intensity

How are you doing with your new healthy eating resolves? How's your exercise program coming along?



Angela Thomas wrote in her Bible study, Beautiful Offering: "I usually begin well. I start the day full of energy and enthusiasm. I begin a new project with a big dream and endless resources. ... Good intentions are how I start most everything, but somewhere along the way my humanity usually kicks in."



I think that's particularly true when it comes to diet and exercise. At one time or another, haven't most of us had the "all or nothing" mentality. You know what I mean - we starve ourselves rationalizing that if we lose a good number of pounds right at the outset we'll be more motivated to stay the course. Or we exercise until we're so sore we can hardly walk much less exercise again the next day. And then our humanity kicks in. We totally botch our healthy eating resolves so we decide we are a hopeless case and we might as well give up.



No - no - no - no - NO! This dance we call "life" is always danced three steps forward and one step back. Like it or not, that's simply how life down here on earth seems to work. When your humanity kicks in - and, trust me, it WILL - accept it for what it is - a TEMPORARY setback. At the risk of bursting into a song from the musical South Pacific ... pick yourself up - dust yourself off - and start all over again. The apostle Paul said it this way: "Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal ..." (Philippians 3:13-14)

I think I confessed my struggles with perfectionism in an earlier post (First Things First, 9/27/07). Claire Cloninger writes in her book, Faithfully Fit (Word Publishing, 1991): "Many overeaters (and I am no exception) tend to be perfectionists in one form or another. When you combine perfectionism with impatience (which tends to be another one of our common traits), you come up with a person who wants to be totally "fixed," "healed," "skinny," and "perfect" right now. The kind of anxiety that those thoughts can stir up is something we do not need if we plan to stay on course."

My new healthy resolves were not all focused on my physical well-being, in terms of eating and exercise and other facets of caring for my body. I made many resolves directed toward mental and emotional health too. One of them was that I would not strive for perfection. I wanted to pursue excellence but at the same time recognize that I would make mistakes. I determined to aim for success without giving up my right to be wrong. I asked God to help me rejoice by thanking Him for my mistakes instead of beating myself up mentally. I asked Him to help me recognize that with a mistake comes an opportunity to learn and move forward. His forgiveness and restoration are constants in my life! "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up." (James 4:10)

May I encourage you when you "blow it" ... when you "goof up" ... when your "humanity" kicks in ... to do what Angela Thomas taught in our first Bible study lesson this week (Beautiful Offering video for session 1) - lay it on the altar before God. Jesus will cover it with His mercy and grace.

When God speaks a truth to you in your journey, it's helpful to write it down and post it somewhere you will see it frequently. If you don't think *I'm* the "Queen of the Post-it Notes" you ought to get a peek inside my prayer notebook or on the side of the table where I sit for my morning devotional time! GRIN! I have learned that if I see truth often enough and rehearse it in my mind, it will become a part of my beliefs. Here are a few of the things I try to remind myself daily:

  • With God's help, I CAN make changes that are: practical, possible, pertinent and permanent.
  • Fear always lurks behind perfectionism. If I confront my fears and allow myself the right to be human, I will be a happier and more productive person.
  • Time invested in nourishing my spirit, body & soul is valuable and important.
  • Eat right - Exercise regularly - Think moderation
  • Think CONSISTENCY - not intensity

Like the old children's fable of the tortoise and the hare, it's consistency - just faithfully taking it one step at a time day by glorious day that triumphs in the end.

No comments: