Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sheep Talk

One of my favorite things in all the world is to read scripture and dialog with the Father about what I've read. This is basically what I do every morning in my quiet time.

Another "favorite" of mine are the many illustrations in God's Word of Him as our Shepherd and us as His sheep. Having a last name like Wooley gives me a real affinity for sheep. (Get it? GRIN) The following is a conversation I wrote last year when a close friend and I were both in need of healing.

PSALM 23

verse 1:The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want
"Lord, David said that you were his shepherd and because you were, he wouldn't be in want. I know that you are my shepherd too. I really need a shepherd right now to take care of my 'wants'. I feel a little like a lost and wandering little sheep and I need to feel your guidance and your watch care."

verse 2 :He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters "Lord, as I lay down and rest tonight, would you lead me in my heart, mind, and spirit to that restful place of green pastures and still and quiet waters."

verse 3: he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake
"Would you restore my soul, Lord? I long for a strong sense of Your presence. Guide me in paths of righteousness for your name's sake. I need your guidance now more than ever in my life and I desperately want the choices I make to bring honor and glory to You. Help me keep a mental picture of You as a gentle Shepherd walking along the path of life; with me as an obedient sheep following along at your feet."

verse 4: Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
"Lord, if I've ever been in that 'valley', it feels like I'm there now and I'll have to be honest and say that I do have some major fear griping my heart. Help me to put my fears in your hands and focus on the fact that You truly *are* WITH me. I am not journeying through this valley alone. Lord, I know that the shepherds of David's day would use their rod to fight off predators that came against their sheep. They would take their staff with its curled end and lift their sheep out of crevaces or places of danger they'd slipped into. When the fears I am facing come against me, help me picture You, MY shepherd, with your rod in one hand knocking that vicious "wolf" into oblivion and then with your staff in your other hand gently lifting me from the precarious position I'm in and into the safety of your arms."

verse 5:You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
"Lord, let me fellowship with you as I would around my table with the dearest of friends ... now ... while this enemy is still present. Anoint me with the oil of your Holy Spirit. Enable me to hear His voice. Pour the oil of Your healing over my body for you are Jehovah Rapha ... the God who heals .... you are the Balm of Gilead. Awaken my heart to heed your word and heal my spirit's need. Use the talents of the doctors you've led me to and the medicines they have available to heal my body's needs that I might bring honor and glory to You in all that I do."

verse 6:Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
"Thank you, Holy Father, for this opportunity to trust you with my life and health. Thank you for your many promises of love and mercy towards me. Thank you for giving me hope for a bright future."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This entry was posted at 10p.m.?!?! God has done some amazing changes! The Bev-o of past could not even keep her eyes open by 10 much-less write! He is the God of Change!