About this time last year I began, in earnest, the best exercise program I've ever done in my life. I was utterly amazed at how much I enjoyed it. You've got to understand, I have lived a sedentary life-style most of my life. Even as a child, there were very few energetic activities I enjoyed. I wasn't athletic. Heck, I wasn't even coordinated. I was the one that always got picked last when they were choosing teams at recess. And, what's more - I didn't care. I'd have been my happiest to sit the games out and watch the others play. Spectator - yeah, that was my favorite "sport." As an adult, my favorite activities were reading, sewing, and cross-stitching. Notice any cardio-vascular benefit in that list? No, I didn't think so.
I know I've blogged about this in the past, but last year when I got serious with God about my health I knew I needed to make major changes in my weight and fitness. I asked God to help me do three things regarding my eating and exercise:
- to help me choose healthy foods
- to help me choose to eat them in healthy amounts (portion control)
- to help me incorporate healthy activity into my life
Moment by moment, day by day, I submitted my food choices to the Lord's direction and He abundantly blessed my meager efforts. When I began the exercise program, it wasn't because I wanted to. It was because I knew it was something I needed to do if I were going to be obedient to God in the things He was teaching me about health. No one was more surprised than me when the Lord gave me such a genuine enjoyment of my exercise program. My journal during those months is absolutely filled with expressions of gratitude to God for the joy I was finding in exercise. It was one of those things that leaves you amazed because you know it's not you at all - but only God.
God vividly showed me the benefit exercise is to my body. I had boundless energy. It sent "stress" flying out the window. It changed my body shape. My muscles got firmer and I became stronger. Suddenly I could open jars that I used to have to tackle with my handy dandy strap wrench. Very cool! But the main thing God taught me was that physical fitness (especially when you're past 60) wasn't going to happen overnight. It was a PROCESS. It happened little by little, day by day, as I was faithful to perform the exercise routine.
The time we spend in God's Word and in communion with Him in prayer is our SPIRITUAL exercise. It changes us spiritually just like cardio and weight routines change us physically. The time we spend with God in our morning quiet time makes us more conscious of Him and His participating presence in our life all day long. His Spirit teaches us His word. He speaks it to our heart in fresh and meaningful ways. He energizes us with the POWER I asked Him for in yesterday's post. But just like physical fitness, our spiritual growth is a PROCESS too. It comes little by little, day by day, as we are faithful to come before Him. Oh, the joy! In His presence there is fullness of joy!
As I've studied the Psalms of Ascent these past six weeks I've become increasingly aware of what a process our lives are. We are ever on pilgrimage. Day by day, step by step we are drawing ever closer to God. Our determined purpose is to know Him. To progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him. To understand the wonders of His Person more strongly and clearly. (Phil. 3:10) That's the goal of a heart set on pilgrimage.
Can I ask you a personal question (or two)? What kind of effort are you putting into your journey? Have you hitched a ride on somebody else's wagon or are you determinedly plodding along? Is your heart set on the goal or are you caught up in the dailiness of the journey?
As long as I'm meddling . . . I just wondered - do you have some flab that needs firming up? I do. I'm ready to get back to my exercise routine. I've asked God to forgive me for not keeping it a priority in my life.
But, you know what - it's not just our flesh that gets flabby. Sometimes it's our faith. Anybody have some flabby faith that needs firming up? Implement your spiritual exercise. Get in the Word. Spend more time with God in prayer. Set your heart on pilgrimage and press on.
One thing I do:
Forgetting what is behind
and straining toward what is ahead,
I press on toward the goal
to win the prize
for which God has called me
heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13-14
3 comments:
Thanks for meddlin! Not! it's one thing to encourage us in the spiritual things BUT you don't have to go to the physical! Know your area! PLEASE, give a siester an inch and...
Thanks for the laugh . . and I really AM laughing. But it also seemed like a good time to add something I know you know and HOPE that everyone else who reads this blog will know. The ONLY reason I have any freedom to "meddle" is because God has "meddled" with me first!
Beverly:
I, too, exercise my physical muscles as well as my spiritual muscles...
Not always because I want to, but because I know that I need to. They are intricately connected, and when one is out of whack, the other suffers. At least I have found this to be true in my own life.
I wrote a post not long ago reflecting on my need to "lose the baby fat." You might enjoy reading it when you have time.
God has given us this temple of flesh to occupy for a season. He is well pleased when we choose to honor it accordingly. It's been a difficult embrace for me, but one that deserves my attention if I am going to "move up" in my relationship with him.
peace~elaine
PS: We, too, are finishing up our study in Beth Moore's "Psalms of Ascent." It's been a wonderful journey with God and with thirty of my fellow pilgrims.
Post a Comment