"Live in the relaxation of knowing that God has accepted you.
Live in the confidence of knowing that Christ's blood makes you worthy.
Live in the assurance that He is holding your hand.
Live in the joy of knowing you are forgiven."
So, read my daily calendar page for yesterday. As I thought about what these four things mean to me (and joy filled my heart), I remembered reaffirming who I am in Christ last summer by using Neil Anderson's marvelous little book by that same name in my quiet time. I remembered reaffirming that I am accepted . . . that my confidence is in Him . . . that I have assurance of His continual presence in my life . . . that I am forgiven.
The following is my journal entry on the second day of that study:
I Am God's Child
"But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God" John 1:12
Good morning, dear Abba. This is Your beloved child, Beverly.
As I explore these teachings on my personal identity - Who I Am in Christ - I praise You because the fact that I am Your child is a truth YOU have so richly taught me over the last few months. It's really a truth I've known for many years. I've never had a problem recognizing You as my Heavenly Father. I thank You for giving me an earthly (physical) father whose love for me made the concept of You being a loving Heavenly Father one that I could easily and eagerly grasp. That's a blessing I don't take lightly - especially when I hear (or read) recounts of others whose experiences with earthly fathers are hindrances to their embracing You as their Heavenly Father. It makes me realize, once again, how richly You have blessed my life. Your goodness and grace to me are overwhelming!
Father, as You've taught me to call You and embrace You as my Abba over the last few months, You've brought me to a deeper level of understanding in our relationship. It has made a world of difference IN me . . . but even as I reflect on it this morning (and realize that I am more grateful than I can adequately express), I know that I'm probably only on the threshold of the depth of understanding You have for me.
Thank You for redeeming me, Lord Jesus. It was Your grace that prompted someone to decide to invite the third graders into the evangelistic appeal during Sunday School those many many years ago at Idlewild Baptist Church. It was the work of Your wonderful Holy Spirit that brought conviction of sin to my little 8 year old heart. By Your grace You made me Your child that day and, as You promised, you have never left me or forsaken me.
You've been faithful when I have been faithLESS! My own disobedience has moved me out of harmony with You more times than I want to remember. But even in my most wayward wilderness wandering You have been IN me - Your Holy Spirit wooing and calling me - "Child, come back home. Come back to the arms of your Father."
Lord, I love You so!! I've asked You to help me love You more and You are answering that prayer in the sweetest of ways. Please don't ever stop! Make loving you more and more and more an unending quest in my life. I want a holy PASSION for You . . . a holy passion for Your fullness.
Father, I want - I NEED - a holy passion for Your purity in my life. Because I love You, I want to grow in my obedience to You. Help me to TRUST You in all things. Show me my areas of disobedience quickly. Help me be more sensitive to the voice of Your Spirit and give me strength to respond in obedience when sin is still in the temptation stage.
When I am weeding flower beds (or pulling up weeds wherever they are found), You bring so many parallels to my mind between those weeds and the sin in my life. Lately I've been weeding Moms hosta/impatien bed at least once a week. Last night she had just finished watering when I went out to weed. The soil was moist and soft. Most of the weeds were small and easy to pull out. I ask You to pour the water of Your word on my heart to make it soft and pliable. Use Your word to expose my sin when it's small and easily removed.
Father, even weeding regularly and frequently, I've learned that some weeds require more "muscle" to pull them out because they have better root systems. Some sins in my life have roots that go WAY back - help me deal firmly with those in the strength and power of Your Spirit.
Several times I've found weeds I call "imposters" growing up in the middle of one of the impatien plants. Their leaves look a lot like the plant so I don't see them when they are small and "suddenly" there they are - as tall as the plant - but barren - no blooms or buds. Lord, open my eyes to see my "imposter" sins . . . the things that masquerade as good but produce no fruit - bring no glory to You.
Purity - Holiness - Lord, can these be mine? Create in me a clean heart, O God. You are the Master gardener. Pull the weeds out of the soil of my heart on a daily basis. Blossom and bloom in me that I might be a planting for Your glory!
Help me bow in grateful submission to Your authority in my life for You are my Father and I am Your beloved child!
June 30, 2007
No comments:
Post a Comment