Psalm 132 is the longest of the Psalms of Ascent. Verses 1-10 petition God in remembrance of David and his desire to honor God. Verses 11-18 record God’s response. That in itself is a wonder of wonders. Almighty God – King of the Universe – answers when we talk to Him! Awesome!
In His response, God promises His blessing, His satisfaction, His salvation, His joy and His glory – all as honor for David – the one whose deepest desire had been to honor God. In the closing verse God vows, "the crown he wears will be glorious." In her teaching on this scripture Beth pointed out that the word "glorious" literally means "will blossom" which, of course, further reminds us of Aaron’s rod whose blossoming was God’s accrediting of Aaron as His high priest. Today, as joint heirs with Jesus and members of His royal priesthood, we can see ourselves reflected in Revelation 1:5-6
To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen
Kings . . . and Priests? He made US – he made me – a king? A priest? I think I can grasp the priesthood of the believer . . . it’s a doctrine I’ve been taught for many years. And, I have no difficulty picturing myself as a daughter of the King. But, a KING? Me?? I had to think on that one for awhile!
God directed me to Numbers 24:17 which says "a scepter shall rise out of Israel." I think about Esther and the fear she had in approaching the king because she didn’t have the authority to come before Him uninvited. If he chose not to extend his scepter toward her it could have cost her her life. I don’t have that fear for I am a child of the King. As King of the Universe, my Father, God, extends His scepter towards me and invites me to approach His throne. He invites me – granting me authority - to come boldly and with confidence before Him. He assures me that He will grant me mercy and grace. He promises He will help me in my time of need.
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16
What an awesome privilege to be given that authority. I’m not sure my heart can even fully grasp what that means. How utterly and completely humbling to think that the Most High God would invest the authority of Jesus in me!
Father, it staggers my imagination to contemplate how readily You share the power of Your throne with Your redeemed. It also makes me realize how much of my Christian life I have spent powerlessly. I have failed so often to appropriate the authority and power to live as a blood bought child of the King. Forgive me! Enlarge my understanding of what it means to live and function in YOUR authority and power. Help me reach out and grasp all that You hold out to me. Help me live in Jesus’ name – for He is the Septer Who rose out of Israel.
Thank You, Father, for the presence of your Spirit in my life. I need His power.
Power to be steadfast and uncompromising in my commitment to You
Power to not yield to temptation
Power to live above sin and not obey the desires of my flesh
Power to see my sin and repent of it
Power to receive Your forgiveness and cleansing
Power to see the enemy’s schemes and resist him
Power to bring honor and glory to You
Father, I am not only humbled by the fact that You invite me to come boldly before You. I am also IMMENSELY grateful! You are touchable. You know my feelings. You are sensitive to my every need, pain or cry. YOU are the Great High Priest Who sympathizes. (Hebrews 4:15) You understand!
Oh, that we might live . . . Oh, that I might live as the King and Priest He has made me to be. As a King, may I reign through obedience and holiness to Him. May I reign in righteousness for His glory; wearing a robe of salvation and shouting aloud for joy. As a Priest, may I generously administer God’s love to others. May I impart to others the abundant mercy and amazing grace He has extended to me.
2 comments:
loved it, as usual
amy
1) And to think that He rest with us, feeds us, and then clothes us with salvation! And we will SHOUT for joy!
2) I know that you are back with us BUT to have you say that you are back where God called you, ministering to women!!! OH! Be still my heart! For I know that a large part of me was shaped by your teaching and mentoring! I know that the well is deep, rich and flows with "living waters"! THANK YOU!
I am most appreciative of being able to draw from the "well" again!
Post a Comment