But I trust in you, O Lord;
I say, You are my God.
My times are in your hand.
Psalm 31:14-15a
This has long been one of my favorite scriptures (but I guess I kind of say that about a lot of passages). It's one thing to agree with God about something in His word . . . to claim it as your personal truth . . . But, when your precious Heavenly Father decides to demonstrate that truth before your very eyes, it takes on a fresh and doubly sweet meaning!
When I posted about "The Aunts" (March 8th) , I wrote about my original flight to Florida being cancelled and having to travel on Sunday instead of on Saturday as I had planned. God had a very special treat in store for me on my Sunday flight and I shudder to think that I would have missed it if my flight schedule had not been changed.
My seatmate on the flight from Memphis to Jacksonville was a lovely young woman named Rhonda who was traveling with the couple across the aisle from us. The three of them were making their way back to their home in Callahan, Florida after having been on a brief mission trip to Omaha, Nebraska. Their church, First Baptist of Callahan, sends mission teams every summer to conduct youth camps on a couple of Native American reservations in Nebraska. Rhonda and her friends had gone up for a weekend conference and some advance planning for the summer camps.
Don't you just love it when God, in His sovereign timing, lets you meet another of His children who you'd probably never cross paths with in the normal course of your life except for His divine orchestration! And then He instantly bonds you together in His Spirit until you feel like you've known one another for YEARS! What an awesome privilege. I still can't get over it! Rhonda and I may have been high above the earth but I'm gonna have to tell you, we were on holy ground!
We chatted non-stop for over two hours (as we women are prone to do). We're both in the midst of studying Stepping Up (Beth Moore) so that provided a lot of fodder for discussion. It was wonderful to hear about Rhonda's church and its mission work but her affection for the missionary couple they assist in Nebraska was so evident I felt as though I'd gotten to meet them too. I guess it must have also been contagious. GRIN The Holy Spirit has given me an abiding love for these missionaries I've never met and has kept them daily in my prayers ever since Rhonda told me about them.
Ron and Alfie Goombie (pronounced Goombah) are Native Americans who serve the Lord through the Southern Baptist Home Mission Board. They serve on two reservations if my memory of what Rhonda told me is correct. She said they labor among much poverty, alcoholism and drug addiction - especially among the young people.
But here's what has totally gripped my heart: Alfie confessed to the women this weekend that she is struggling with depression. Because of my own personal history, my heart is very drawn to pray for and minister to others who battle that vicious enemy. Alfie experienced a great tragedy last August. During some flash flooding that occurred in Nebraska, her mother, sister and niece were drowned. The three of them were found several days later with their arms entwined around one another. Alfie's mother was a believer and a great support to Alfie in her ministry as well as being a dearly loved parent. Alfie is still deeply grieving the loss of her family members. In addition, she's 52 years old. We women understand what that means, don't we? Changing hormonal balance and the havoc that wreaks in our lives. Rhonda and her friends had prayed for Alfie and encouraged her as best they could on a brief visit and left very burdened for their dear friend and co-worker in the kingdom of God.
I have no doubt that my getting to meet Rhonda, hear Alfie's story, and catch Rhonda's love for her was a divine appointment orchestrated wholly by the God whose timing I trust. His Spirit ignited a passion in me to pray for Alfie . . . to ask God to comfort her in her grief as only He can . . . to ask him to deliver her from the attack of the enemy who is bringing depression to bear upon her . . . to ask Him to sustain her physically, mentally and emotionally . . . to ask Him to bless the ministry efforts she and Ron put forth among their fellow Native Americans "exceedingly abundantly above all they ask or think" . . . to ask Him to watch over Alfie's son, Jonathan and her nephew, Angelo, who lives with them. Would you pray for Alfie too?
I'm so thankful God interrupted my plans with His perfect timing. I'm so thankful God has given me (and you) the opportunity to be a part of Alfie & Ron's ministry by supporting them through a difficult time by covering their needs in prayer. And, I'm so thankful God is allowing me to pray for the group of women from First Baptist Church, Callahan, Florida who will be attending Living Proof Live in Jacksonville March 28-29. I'm praying that God will use Beth to bless their socks off! (Though in Florida, He may have to bless their flip-flops off! GRIN)
No comments:
Post a Comment