Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Day 1 - OUR CREATOR

Happy April 1st. If you have young ones around your house you're probably already well aware that it's April Fool's day. The five year old humor and trickery around our house loses a little in translation sometimes but we grandparents are prone to giggle appropriately anyway. The munchkins have been asking if it's "April the first" yet for over a week. It's been hard to tell whether they have been most excited about April Fool's Day or about the fact that Alvin and the Chipmunks comes out on "DVD and Blue-ray disc" today. Yes, they quote the commercial for it verbatim and this poor technology challenged grandmother doesn't even know what a "blue-ray disc is"!

Me? I've been as excited about April 1st arriving as the munchkins have. But, I've been excited about beginning a new Bible study and getting to share it with some of you. Don't you just love new beginnings? I do! There's always something special to me about launching a new study and realizing that it provides fresh steps forward in the "pilgrimage". . . fresh opportunities to fellowship along the way . . . fresh chances to grow . . . fresh possibilities for pressing on toward the goal.

And what's the goal?

" My determined purpose is that I may know Him - that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and clearly." Philippians 3:10 (AMP)


I hope most of you were able to get your own copy of Shannon Ethridge's devotional, Completely Loved. And, I hope you took time to read the introduction. Shannon encourages us toward this very goal . . . to look at the people we read of in the selected Bible passages in this devotional as merely God's supporting characters and see HIM in the lead role of every story. (p.3) As you read, with Shannon, I challenge you to look beyond the people and circumstances and ask yourself: What does this tell me about what God is doing? and why? What do His actions tell me about His character?

The more you KNOW Him, the more intimately acquainted you become with His Person. Didn't you love Shannon's break down of the word "intimacy" - making it say IN-TO-ME-SEE (p.2). Let's get addicted to daily intimacy with God. Let's let Him see-into-me . . . the real "me" we are deep inside. Let's into-Him-see as we read and hear Him speak to us through His word.

Day 1 - OUR CREATOR

Read: Genesis 1:1 thru 2:25 **
Focal passage:

Then God said, "Let us make people in our image, to be like ourselves. They will be masters over all life - the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the livestock, wild animals, and small animals."

So God created people in his own image, God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them . . .

Then God looked over all he had made, and he saw that it was excellent in every way. Genesis 1:26-27, 31 (NLT)


** Just a word of encouragement. I think sometimes, we who have been believers for many years, have a tendency to look at a scripture that is very familiar to us, like this passage in Genesis, with an air of complacency. I urge you to approach every passage you read from God's word as if you are reading it for the first time. Ask God to open your eyes to see the wonders (Ps.119:18) of His Word. Read slowly and purposefully asking Him what He wants to say to you through the passage.

One of the things I've always loved best about flying in an airplane is the view it gives me of the earth and the awareness it inevitably speaks to my heart about the majesty of God as CREATOR. I love the ascent when the plane first takes off and you are looking down upon the familiar streets below and watching them become increasingly smaller and smaller. They begin to remind me of my grandson's little "village" rug that houses his train set and all the little cars, trees, and people. Soon, the tiny cars and even streets are no longer distinguishable and the earth below begins to resemble a patchwork quilt. I love the subtleties of shade as the colors blend from one to the other. The ascent continues and soon you are surrounded by the white fluffy clouds and endless blue of the sky. I don't think I've ever watched out the window of a plane without remembering Psalm 8: 3-4 "When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him?"

One of my most memorable flights was in 1992 when I flew to Alaska for the birth of my granddaughter, Maggie. I had just completed making a series of five companion worship banners - Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father and Prince of Peace. I used my travel times to write the synopsis descriptions for the banners explaining the meaning of each name and the colors and symbols used on the banners. The only two I had left to write about were Mighty God and Everlasting Father. On the final leg of the flight from Anchorage to Fairbanks, where my daughter and her family lived, I began to write. I glanced out the window and the sight was so majestic it literally took my breath away. We were flying over Danali National Park and the great range of mountains it houses. Displayed before my eyes was the might and majesty of Creator God as only the work of His own hands could describe Him. No words I would ever articulate could do Him justice! I thought of the thousands of years those massive crags and valleys had stood where they were and remembered that a thousand years is as only a day with the Everlasting Father - for He is eternal. My heart was awash in worship for a Creator whose power, might and nature are so vividly displayed in His creation.

I cannot comprehend the power of God in creation. A power so mighty it changed an entire cosmos of chaos and darkness, day by day, into a creation of beauty and light that continually reveals Himself and His nature as it grows and changes. And yet - on a far less grand scale - that's exactly what my Creator did when He entered the chaos and confusion of my soul, penetrated the darkness of my sin and replaces it day by day with the beauty and light of His steadfast love! He is a Mighty God - The Ancient of Days - Elohim - Creator! O my Father, how I long to reflect You to the world You've placed me in!

Creator God, Elohim, made you and me in His image so that we might be that very thing - a reflection of His character and nature. He created us to represent and be in relationship with Him. Do you, my sweet friend, find passion and joy day by day in walking in intimate fellowship with the One who designed every part of you? To paraphrase some of Shannon's commentary (p.7) let me ask you some questions:

  • Who could possibly know better how to put you at ease when you are anxious than the very One who designed your mind?
  • Who could possibly know better how to strengthen you when you are weak (or heal you when you are sick) than the very One who created your body?
  • Who could possibly know better what it takes to thrill and delight you than the One who formed your heart?
  • Who could possibly know your innermost desires and satisfy them better than the One who molded your spirit?

We sing a chorus at church that I dearly love because every phrase is straight from God's word:

I have a Maker.
He formed my heart.
Before even time began
my life was in His hands.

He knows my name.
He knows my every thought.
He sees each tear that falls
and hears me when I call.



It is so precious to me to know that the One Who created me, loves me so intimately that He knows my name . . . my every thought . . . my every tear . . . and He listens when I call. When I look in the mirror at my 62 year old self, I may see gray hair, wrinkles and saggy skin but my Creator doesn't look at my outward appearance. He looks at my heart. When he sees a heart that is filled with worship for His infinite majesty . . . a heart that trusts Him fully . . . a heart that is set upon pilgrimage with Him . . . a heart that longs to know Him more and more and more and more . . . . then, guess what? He thinks I'm beautiful! What about you, sweet friend, can you look in the mirror today and agree with your Creator that you are fearfully and wonderfully made?

It's your turn - click on "comment" and tell us what God has spoken to you through His word today.

(1) Do you believe that when God formed you, He was pleased with His handiwork?
(2) What did today's scripture passage teach you about your Creator?
(3) What do you think God wants to teach you about yourself?

I can't wait to hear from you!

1 comment:

Amber, Felicity, & Henry said...

Loved you comment about reading scripture. I am so quick to skim scripture if I am reading a passage in a book that quotes scripture.
I do like her point of looking for God on each page of the Bible. Looking to learn about His character and His plan His Son. A friend of mine gave me a picture book for my daughter called the "Jesus Storybook Bible". It tells stories of the old and new testament but adds throughout the stories how this points to Jesus and God's plan to redeem creation. I love to read the book-but actually lent it to a Chinese friend for a while who is a new Christian. she loves it too.
I have more to say, but will save for tomorrow!
Thanks Beverly,
Amber