
Christmas is such a festive time of year and such a fun time to gather with friends. This picture is from Christmas 1984. We'd been in our new house for three months and I didn't even have curtains on the windows yet. But that didn't hamper fun and celebration with our dearest friends, the Crabtrees.
To celebrate the gift of friendship is to celebrate a gift that is given the whole year through. Sometimes friends are our family and sometimes family are our friends. It doesn't really matter as long as we have them in our lives to cherish.
Bonnie, in the pink shirt at the right in this picture, was my neighbor for 13 years and she, her husband and children were friends who became like "family." Bonnie and I raised our children together and I have more sweet memories from our friendship than I could ever recount. All three of my children considered her a "second" mother - and still do to this day. Bonnie passed away a few years ago and I have missed her this Christmas far more than usual. I'm battling tears again as I try to write about her but they are tears that are filled with happy memories of all the things we shared.
Neil Anderson says "A friend is someone who loves you, who has your best interests at heart, who stands by you in your lowest moments and sacrifices himself to meet your need."
Bonnie was that kind of friend to me. She listened to me and kept my confidences. I could share my deepest joys AND my deepest hurts with her and know she would rejoice with me or cry with me - whichever was needed. I could share my secrets with her and know they would be safe.
But what made our friendship so lasting was that it was a reciprocal relationship. Bonnie trusted me with her secrets too. She came to me when she needed to talk just like I went to her. She came to me when she was rejoicing and we celebrated together. We loved each other's children - and even each other's husbands. We celebrated the birth of grandchildren together and delighted in hearing of all their "accomplishments." Bonnie's adult children are still a special part of my family's life today. . . for truly, they are part of our family.
How blessed we are as believers that Jesus has called us His friends (John 15:12-17). That means, that just as I did with my friend, Bonnie; I can go to Jesus and share my deepest needs and joys. I can be totally honest with Him, knowing that He cares, loves me and has my best interests at heart. My friendship with Jesus is reciprocal too. Because I am Christ's friend, I choose to love Him back by obeying him and loving others.
Thank God today for the friends he has blessed you with over the years ... old friends ... new friends ... those who are here and those who have gone on before. Thank Jesus for choosing you and being your FRIEND.
"I have called you my friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other." John 15:15-17
2 comments:
Enjoyed this so much Beverly! Made me think about some of the good friends I've had and still have over the years. How blessed we are to have friends!
Happy New Year!
Marilyn
Great post!! Thankful to call you my dear forever friend! Love you!!
Post a Comment