Monday, December 6, 2010

DECK THE HALLS

Splendor and majesty are before him;
strength and joy in his dwelling place.
1 Chronicles 16:27

Have you finished "decking your halls"? I haven't. I'm slower getting decorating done this year than usual. I hope that's a sign of other obligations taking my time and not that I am "slowing down with age." LOL

Do you love decorating your home for Christmas? I do. Yes, it's LOTS of work - especially when you tend to go a bit overboard as I've been known to do - but there is such JOY ... sheer JOY ... in the sights and sounds of Christmas assaulting your senses everywhere you look.

Think about it
  • if God commissioned angels to roll back the darkness of that holy night and fill it with blazing light
  • if God sent a heavenly choir to serenade a few startled shepherds
  • if God graced the heavens with a miracle star
  • if God arranged such a memorable entry point as a feeding trough in a stable
  • if God went to all this trouble to open our eyes to His entry into our world, then isn't it appropriate for us to decorate our homes with seasonal reminders?
Yes, it is right - fitting - and, dare we say, even righteous, to deck our halls in honor of the One who
  • came
  • lived
  • and died FOR US.
Lord Jesus, no matter how beautifully we decorate our homes in celebration of Your birth, all its beauty pales when compared to Yours! No matter how brightly metallic hues and sequins glitter in our decorations, they pale in comparison to Your splendor and majesty! No matter how many sparkling lights adorn our decorations, they pale in comparison to the light of Your love. May every decoration we look upon this season remind us of YOU!

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Enjoyed the devotional as well as the Christmas pictures!