Saturday, December 4, 2010

WHO DO YOU TRUST?


The angel said to him: "Do not be afraid, Zechariah, because your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you will name him John." Luke 1:13

How did you answer the question posed by the title of this post? Who do you trust?

Or, perhaps I should ask if you trust at all. Trust is sometimes hard to hang on to. It tends to waiver and slip away among delays of waiting that last far longer than you anticipated. It tends to flicker and fade when darkness encroaches on its light. It is much like its twin sister, Hope. It's hard to hold on to.

Zechariah was an old man. All his life he had served God as part of the priestly tribe of Levi. He gave God all he had and counted the times he served at and IN the temple in Jerusalem as times of great blessing.

Zechariah was an old man. He had trusted God when he was young and he still trusted God now that he was old. Many dreams of his youth had failed to come true but he still dared to dream. I doubt Zechariah ever grew old enough to quit dreaming. Nor should we; for, that's what it means to trust God. When we trust God, whatever life is left to us will surely unfold some greater deed we may do for Him.

When we trust, we become life partners of God. Trusting Him becomes not only our life's work; but the work of a lifetime. When will we ever be through trusting? NEVER! The older our trust, the greater our confidence.

Look again at the picture of Zechariah and Elizabeth with their baby. Imagine the soft feel of the newborn baby's skin against their weathered faces. A child and the purpose of God were held in wrinkled old hands. But best of all was the certain knowledge that God honors trust.

Have you wanted something from God? Are you weary of asking Him? Have you wearied in your hope, thinking God must surely have forgotten you? Remember Zechariah. Do not despair. Trust is always rewarded.

Calvin Miller says: "Trust is the appetizer to every feast of God's abundance."

Oh, Abba Father, may I trust You more today than yesterday and more tomorrow than today. Like Zechariah, I am old and I have come to know Your great faithfulness over many years. May I never quit dreaming. May I never quit trusting you to perfect that which concerns me. May trust be my appetizer - my meal - my second helping - and my dessert.

No comments: