Let's look for a minute at this devotional and then I'll tell you how I felt led to ask God that question.
Day 10 - Completely Loved by OUR TRUSTWORTHY FATHER
Read: Genesis 22:1-18
Focal passage:
Then the angel of the Lord called again to Abraham from heaven, "This is what the Lord says: Because you have obeyed me and have not withheld even your beloved son, I swear by my own self that I will bless you richly. I will multiply your descendants into countless millions, like the stars of the sky and sand on the seashore. They will conquer their enemies, and through your descendants, all the nations of the earth will be blessed - all because you have obeyed me."
Genesis 22:15-18
The story of Abraham's obedience to God in his willingness to sacrifice Isaac is one that never fails to move my heart. I agree with Shannon Ethridge, this was one test "no parent would ever want to take." (p.42) As I thought about this test of Abraham's faith, I began to think about some of the ways my faith is tested . . . and about "TESTS," in general. I realized that I have not always passed God's tests with obedience like Abraham did. As He often does, God began to illustrate the point for me personally through one of my "treasures."
I have a treasured teenage grandson who is bright, capable, and a charismatic charmer. He has always done very well in school. His teachers have always loved his affable personality and throughout his school years, he's maintained excellent grades with very little effort.
His freshman year of high school this year has been a different story. There have been times when his mother and I have wondered what smart mouthed alien being was occupying the body of the sweet kid we used to know. Ah, the growing pains of adolescence! Our excellent student of the past began failing some major tests. Tests in his curriculum at school and tests in his relationships (at school and home) were both finding him in need of improvement. After yet another call from yet another teacher, his mother reached the end of her patience. She put him in what she calls "boot camp" at home (and at my house). That means no telephone, no television, no video games, no computer, no i-pod, and no extra curricular activities of any kind. He has been required to not only improve his grades but also (and with equal importance) to change his attitude. He has paid attention. In just a few short weeks he has turned his grades around and his disposition is returning to the lovable kid he's always been. He's slowly earning some of his privileges back.
I tell you all that, to say this - I have had a very critical spirit toward his "goofing off" and not doing the things he should this year. I've been disappointed in him. As I sat thinking about this yesterday morning, God paralleled for me some of the many times I have "goofed off" in the school of faith and had attitudes that were FAR from pleasing to Him. He showed me some of the many tests of my faith that I have failed miserably. God has disciplined me like my daughter has disciplined her son. My grandson's "boot camp" has been very hard for his mother. There have been times he has begged for some privilege . . . times he's wept over missing an activity that meant a great deal to him. Those times have broken his mother's heart. She loves him and hates to see him unhappy. But, she loves him enough to know that the exacting of this discipline will ultimately benefit him. It's the same way with God. He disciplines us because He loves us and His discipline is always future oriented. (Hebrews 12:11)
As I read and reread Genesis 22, I was utterly astounded by how Abraham responded to God's instructions with UNQUESTIONING obedience. I'm sure I would have asked a dozen questions and persisted for an explanation. What about you?
God quickly reminded me of how another of my grandchildren does this constantly to me. Five year old Hallie is my constant shadow and she and I are working hard at developing respect and responsibility and learning the importance of obedience. We're making progress, but we still have a LONG way to go. Hallie is a child that demands explanations. I honestly can't recall a single time I've given her an instruction and had her do it without it requiring a discussion. When I dialoged with God about this in my journal I wrote: "Some days, Lord, it drives me nuts! Most of the time I simply want her to DO what I asked her to!" Hmmmm . . . . that's when it dawned on me that I do the same thing to my Father! And that's what prompted me to ask God if I drive Him nuts! I'm so grateful my Heavenly Father is more kind, more gentle, and more patient with me than I am with Hallie!
HOLDING HIS HAND:
(1) Can I trust that God only asks of me that which ultimately benefits me?
Yes, my Heavenly Father may test my faith from time to time. But He only asks of me what He knows will ultimately benefit me. And when I fail the tests He brings, even His discipline ultimately benefits me. The tests our kids take in school are designed to measure their mastery of the subject matter. Without occasional tests of our faith, how would we know where we are spiritually?
(2) How has God demonstrated His trustworthiness to me in the past?
How has He not? He has blessed me beyond all measure! He loved me when I didn't love myself. He sought me when I ran from Him. He lifted my head so I might fix my eyes on Him. He picked me up out of the pit of destruction and replaced the darkness of my soul with light and joy. He fills me with His Spirit and lets me walk through my days in tandem yoke with Him.
(3) What hard thing is God asking me to trust Him about today? Do I feel confident that I can lay down my fears and trust His direction?
I had to leave this question blank yesterday. This morning God told me a specific that He wants me to trust Him about. And, yes, it's HARD! And, yes, I'm having to lay down some fears. But God has assured me that faith doesn't demand explanations. Faith rests on promises. I am to believe and pray for what He has shown me because he is "the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they are." (Romans 4:17)
Oh, sweet sisters, may we know our God as intimately as Abraham did and follow Him with unquestioning obedience!
2 comments:
Enjoying your blog so much. I realize you are in the middle of a series right now, but if you have some time later, this is a fun little blog game. You've been "tagged." See details on my blog post today.
Heather
1. Can I trust God? I can, but I have learned that He wants my spiritual best which isn't always what I would say is best for me physically or emotionally (at first anyway).
2. The past? Yes, He has shown me His trustworthiness so many times. I keep a journal-anytime I doubt this, I can read some amazing stories.
3. hard thing today? fully embracing my new life here with the right attitude. -Amber
Post a Comment