Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Day 11 - OUR GUARANTOR OF SUCCESS

Read: Genesis 24:1-67
Focal passage:
As he was still praying, a young woman named Rebekah arrived with a water jug on her shoulder. Her father was Bethuel, who was the son of Abraham's brother Nahor and his wife, Milcah. Now Rebekah as very beautiful, and she was a virgin; no man had ever slept with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jug, and came up again. Running over to her, the servant asked, "Please give me a drink."
"Certainly, sir," she said, and she quickly lowered the jug for him to drink. When he had finished, she said, "I'll draw water for your camels, too, until they have had enough!" Genesis 24:15-19


The twenty-fourth chapter of Genesis is the longest chapter in the book but wasn't it a delight to read? It had been a long time since I'd read the story of "A Bride for Isaac" and God's timing in it was very meaningful to me. Spring is beautifully blossoming in north Mississippi. There's something special about the freshness of new life emerging throughout visible nature. There's something special about the renewal of our landscape. There's something special about Spring, in and of itself, that simply makes it easy to think about romance. And not just "romance" - but the continuation of life generation after generation.

The Bible doesn't say so, but I can't help but wonder if the budding of the first Spring after Sarah's death is what prompted Abraham to realize that life goes on. When I was in Israel in the Spring of 2000 I saw dainty red and yellow flowers that dotted the countryside in abundance. Some appeared to grow straight up from the rock. It was amazing. I wonder if Abraham watched those tiny flowers burst forth and they reminded him how life renews itself year after year. I wonder if they reminded him that if his "seed" was to continue to blossom, a wife must be found for his son. His son was still grieving the loss of his mother. In his wisdom Abraham would have remembered the comfort a woman's tenderness and love adds to life and longed for his son to know that joy.

Abraham, knowing that God had promised to bless ALL generations through Isaac, knew that Isaac's wife could not come from among the pagan people who lived around them. He also knew he did not want his son tempted to settle in the land God had called Abraham to leave when He first called him to follow Him. There would be no return to the "old." Too old and feeble to make the journey himself, he sent his most trusted servant back to the land of his ancestors to find a wife for Isaac from among his relatives. This was an awesome responsibility to entrust to a servant. But many years before, Abraham had walked with other servants and this son of promise up to a place of sacrifice and God had revealed himself as Jehovah Jireh - the Lord who provides. For many years Abraham had experienced God's provision and was now blessed with great wealth. From the depth of his relationship with the One Abraham served, he knew that Jehovah Jireh, who provided the ram for sacrifice on Mount Moriah, would now also provide a suitable wife for his son.

I won't go on recapping all the details of the story. If you haven't read the passage for yourself and meditated on the servant's prayer, and all the events that transpired; stop and take a few minutes to do that now. The working of Sovereign God in this story is awesome to behold! Then, let's take a look at our discussion questions.

HOLDING HIS HAND:
(1) How could Abraham and his servant have so much faith that God would turn this "mission impossible" into a complete success?

Each of them knew God intimately and were well acquainted with His ways. They had experienced His trustworthiness over many years. The mission itself was based on God's expressed will. I believe when we know we are moving forward in accordance with God's will, we are under girded by His promises. That strengthens us and gives us confidence and a firm place to stand.

(2) What seemingly impossible missions am I facing today? Do I believe that God can give me success as I trust and follow Him?

The "mission impossible" I feel God has assigned me today is the same "hard thing" I felt Him ask me to trust Him about in the last lesson. And, believe me, in the world's eyes, it's definitely an impossible mission. Do I believe God will give me success? Yes, I do. And I don't say that lightly. My confidence comes because I didn't just assume this mission or decide to put myself into it. God assigned it to me and "..he who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion.." (Philippians 1:6) God is unfolding before me daily promise after promise after promise from His word that relates to this assignment. All I have to do is stand on those promises and pray and He'll do the rest.

(3) What characteristics do I have in common with Rebekah?

It might me easier to answer that if we list some of her characteristics. She was beautiful, kind, courteous, warm hearted, humble, and displayed a spirit of hospitality. She had physical strength and youthful energy. Drawing enough water for 10 thirsty camels would have been a very daunting task. Rebekah did not shy away from hard work but was industrious and willing to serve. Everything she did went beyond what was expected of her. She also had a mind of her own and was not afraid to make a decision. When her mother and brother wanted her to delay leaving, Rebekah made her own choice and chose to have faith in where (and when) God was leading.

Have I completely left my old life behind in anticipation of an even greater life with my heavenly Bridegroom?

I loved Shannon Ethridge's commentary (p.47):
As stirring as this passage is, this is not just a beautiful love story. It's also an allegory of an even greater love story. Abraham represents God the Father seeking a wife for His Son. Isaac represents Jesus Christ as the Bridegroom waiting for His bride to brought to Him by His Father. Abraham's servant is a representation of the Holy Spirit, who draws us away from our past life into a new life of purity and promise. And Rebekah symbolizes the believer as she submits herself and her future into the hands of the Holy Spirit, her anticipated Bridegroom, and her heavenly Father.
We, too, are being courted by the Creator. God longs for us to be part of the collective bride of Christ that He will present to His Son at the wedding supper of the Lamb. He has sent His Holy Spirit to woo us and pursue us into a love relationship with our Bridegroom. Will you, like Rebekah, allow yourself to be drawn toward your divine destiny? Will you follow God's leading in faith, trusting Him as the guarantor of your success in life?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am loving reading all of these familiar passages! They have been a blessing to me as well as convicting. Having a great time with my teenage grandchildren this week.
Love,
Kay

Amber, Felicity, & Henry said...

1. How did they have so much faith? I think they had seen God's faithfulness in the past-through the fact that Isaac had even been born was a miricale. That is what keeps me going in really strange/difficult circumstances, remembering God's faithfulness.
2. What impossible am I facing? Do I believe God? It often seems impossible for me to plan events and communicate with busy people. I don't often trust that God will give me success-I just avoid situations where I have to do things I think are impossible.
3. Characteristics in common? One characteristic that I think I have is not so much Rebekah's as the Servant's characteristic. He is so joyful and excited about what God has done and you can tell when he is telling his story how amazed he is by God. I am not always like this, but do get so excited when I see God working and find myself shouting "Praise the Lord!" -Amber