Day 3 - Completely Loved by OUR WISE COUNSELOR
Read: 1 Kings 3:3-28
Focal passage:
"Give me an understanding mind so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong. For who by himself is able to govern this great nation of yours?"
The Lord was pleased with Solomon's reply and was glad that he had asked for wisdom. So God replied, "Because you have asked for wisdom in governing my people and have not asked for a long life or riches for yourself or the death of your enemies - I will give you what you asked for! I will give you a wise and understanding mind such as no one else has ever had or ever will have! And I will also give you what you did not ask for - riches and honor! No other king in all the world will be compared to you for the rest of your life!" I Kings 3:9-13
Every morning we pick up our Bible and our devotional book, Completely Loved, and spend a few minutes looking into God's heart in order to let our own heart be changed. I found it especially meaningful Thursday morning as I began to read the selected scripture for Day 3 that the first words were, "Solomon loved the Lord."
Solomon was just beginning his reign when the Lord met him at the altar of sacrifice in Gibeon and said "Ask what I shall give you." (v.5) Can you just imagine how overwhelming that incredible, unconditional offer must have been to the young king? I think the response that flowed from Solomon's mouth was born in his heart; for "Solomon loved the Lord." He humbly praised God for His goodness and then, just as humbly, asked for God to grant him wisdom.
The first verse that came to my mind as I read this passage about Solomon was penned by Solomon himself - "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Proverbs 9:10 (which finishes by saying "and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.") Did you know that the psalmist wrote the same thought (Ps. 111:10) "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who practice it have a good understanding." The life of young king Solomon spoke "fear of the Lord" for his heart was filled with love for God. He reverenced God by "walking in the statutes" of his father (v.3) and making sacrificial offerings. In fact, Solomon's heart so overflowed with love for God, that he offered far in abundance of the required sacrifices on the altar. More than anything, he wanted to govern the people God had entrusted him with in a way that honored God. He saw the people he ruled not as his subjects but as belonging to God. (v.9) Isn't that the very definition of "fear of the Lord"? He loved God, had awe and reverence for His holiness and responded in obedience with a deep desire to glorify God as a faithful steward of God's blessings. Oh, that we might "fear the Lord" by our love, reverence, worship, obedience and stewardship! Oh, that we might glorify HIM in all that we do!
Solomon was not greedy or self-serving in his request but simply asked for wisdom. He wanted the ability to apply divine truth to daily life. I want that too, don't you? I want the ability to apply the word of God to everything that happens in my daily life. The really "neat" thing is - God wants that too. "..if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him." James 1:5
About a thousand years after Solomon's reign, the apostle James wrote a letter to a group of Jews who had been driven out of their homeland by persecution. He explained that trials in life are inevitable and that they occur for a purpose. (Jas.1:1-4) But in order for that purpose to be worked out in their lives, they must have wisdom. If they lacked wisdom, they were to do as Solomon had done - ask God for it.
In chapter three of his letter, James went on to explain what divine wisdom should look like in a believer's life. "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy." (James 3:17) Let's look briefly at these seven things and see how much evidence of them we can find in our own lives.
PURITY - first on the list and probably first in importance as well. It means moral cleanliness, of course, but also purity of motive. Matt. 5:8 says "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." Chuck Swindoll writes, "The pure in heart will know God so intimately that they will see Him come to their rescue when tempted or come alongside as their closest friend when facing trials. Purity clears our vision to see Him at work in everything we do." It personifies an open unselfish heart, unashamed to come before God's throne.
PEACEABLENESS - When wisdom from above fills our hearts, a peaceable nature blossoms, one that helps heal relationships rather than tear them apart. The wisdom of God brings people closer together in the bond of peace.
GENTLE - Believers whose lives display the gentleness that comes from divine wisdom are ones who know how to forgive when strict justice gives them a perfect right to condemn. They know how to make allowances, how to temper justice with mercy. Matthew Arnold calls it "sweet reasonableness" and says it is the ability to extend to others the kindly consideration we would wish to receive ourselves.
REASONABLE - There's a close connection between being gentle and being reasonable. These two qualities of divine wisdom fit snugly together like two corresponding pieces of a puzzle. Reasonable is the opposite of being stubborn and obstinate (like I fear my husband would tell you I am much of the time!). It's being open, conciliatory and easy to work with. It means you can give serious thought to an opinion that differs from yours without feeling threatened or getting angry.
FULL of MERCY and GOOD FRUITS - Divine wisdom helps us react to suffering with mercy - a compassionate attitude. Mercy runs contrary to human nature which is often cynical and harsh. Instead, merciful people displaying good fruits dole out kindness and acceptance in the face of criticism and adversity. If mercy is the compassionate attitude, then good fruits are the actions that naturally flow from mercy.
UNWAVERING - Believers with wisdom from above are people of fixed principles. They are believers who faithfully cling to the principles of God's Word regardless of the circumstances. They are believers who are not afraid to make decisions based on Scripture.
WITHOUT HYPOCRISY - Usually today when we use the word hypocrite we mean someone who pretends to be something they are not. True wisdom - divine wisdom - is never two-faced or deceptive. It is completely and simply honest.
James 3:17 -seven things wisdom should look like in a believers life. The Word held these seven things up as a mirror before my life this week and found me wanting in several areas. I'm so thankful my Wise Counselor loves me, forgives me, and invites me to ask for the wisdom I lack. I'm so thankful He will intervene and give me the wisdom and discernment I need in every situation.
What about you?
(1) What did you see in today's passage about how God values your hunger for wisdom?
(2) Do you believe that God is the ultimate dispenser of the wisdom you need to handle every situation?
(3) Are there situations in your life in which you have failed to ask for wisdom?
3 comments:
Glad you are back! I was afraid you were sick or the grans were. How I long to be wiser in the things of God. I often ask for His wisdom and I also have times when I fail to ask - how foolish of me!
Oops! Forgot to sign my comment. (It is from me - Kay M.)
We had the CPC women's retreat this weekend, so I got to play scrabble with your daughter! I loved the James passage you chose.
1. God desires our spriritual health over our physical health, although he certainly desires to bless us physically as well like He did to Solomon. Our hunger for wisdom is an important part of our spiritual health.
2. I often don't believe that God is the ultimate dispenser of wisdom. After living overseas for 3 years, now that I am back in the USA I love to read magazines after having been separated from them for 3 years-and often look to them as the dispenser of wisdom-not good.
3. I often get excited about an idea and just do it before asking for wisdom. This was a great reminder for me since yesterday I was asked to counsel someone and was reminded to ask for wisdom first.
-Amber
Post a Comment