Focal passage:
He said to me, "You are my servant, Israel, and you will bring me glory."
I replied, "But my work all seems so useless! I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose at all. Yet I leave it all in the Lord's hand; I will trust God for my reward." Isaiah 49:3-4
Do you ever insert your own name into scripture passages when you read them? It's one of my favorite things to do. After all, my Bible is God's love letter to me and, remember, He knows my name! His Word is often the way He speaks His loving words of affection, His tender words of encouragement, His comforting words of hope, and even (or perhaps especially) His gentle words of reproof to me. Why shouldn't I hear Him apply what He is saying by adding my name? For instance, in my Bible, I crossed through the word Israel in verse three and wrote my name above it. So, in my Bible, verse three reads: "You are my servant, Beverly, and you will bring me glory."
Changing that one little word makes the scripture personal - very personal. And my heart immediately responds, "Me, Lord??? Oh, how I want to bring you glory!" Then, because it has become an intimate exchange between my Father and me - because I'm no longer just "reading" scripture but am sharing a dialogue with my Abba, Who loves me dearly, I can look at verse four and continue speaking with Him.
"But, oh my Father how often I fail to honor and glorigy You in the things I do. Sometimes I feel like all my work is so useless. Sometimes I wonder if I've spent all my energy on things that don't matter at all. Forgive me for feeling that way. Today, Abba, I will confess - My times are in Your hands. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before I was ever born. You have a plan for my life. I'm going to trust You with my days and with all my work and activity.
Father, help me trust You day by day. Help me glorify You in everything I do. When I get up each morning, help me come to You for direction before I even begin my day. Help me whisper prayers to You while I'm driving to pick up the munchkins. When I'm singing along with the praise music in my car, receive my joyful noise as the worship of my heart. When I'm sorting laundry, help me see each article of clothing I toss into the various piles as opportunities to pray for its wearer. When I eat throughout the day, help me choose healthy foods that bless the body You've given me so that I have the strength and energy to do the things You call me to do. Help me listen to You about exercising this old body too, Lord. That's so easy for me to neglect by getting "too busy;" yet You have abundantly shown me its benefit because You created my muscles for movement.
Here's the "biggie," Father, as I take care of the munchkins today, PLEASE help me interact with them with YOUR love and patience. When I have to discipline them (and that's SO hard for me), give me wisdom and grace. Help me see everything we do today as an opportunity for teaching and instilling values that matter eternally and not view my time with them as just "babysitting" until their parents are home. What an awesome responsibility You've put in my hands with the care of these precious grandchildren. Oh, Father, they are such a blessing to my life! How could I ever thank You enough?
One more thing, Abba - and this is a "biggie" too - help me not to be so focused on the munchkins' needs that I neglect my husband. Help me find time and some special way today to bless my husband - to let him know how much I appreciate the wonderful man he is.
Throughout this day, Lord, I plan to enjoy Your presence alongside me in everything I do. Would You interrupt my thoughts regularly with glimpses of Your greatness? You redeemed my life from the pit. I trust you to redeem the hours and activity of my days and to cause them to bring you glory."
When Isaiah wrote the chapter we read this morning, he was writing to God's people who were in captivity in Babylon. He wrote about God's call on himself as a prophet God would use to call them out of captivity, of course, but he also wrote prophetically about the Redeemer who would come to call all men from the captivity of sin into life everlasting . . . Life lived abundantly and freely with their Creator and Redeemer . . . Life lived in intimate relationship with Almighty God.
In describing the Redeemer's ministry (and his own) Isaiah 49 divides this way:
- Bringing LIGHT in darkness (v.1-7)
- Bringing LIBERTY to captives (v.8-13)
- Bringing LOVE and HOPE to the discouraged (v.14-26)
I'm so thankful that my Redeemer's ministry in my life has followed this same outline. He has brought His LIGHT into my darkness. He has brought His LIBERTY to my areas of captivity. He has brought His LOVE and HOPE into my discouragement.
What about you, my friends? Do you have an area of darkness in your life today? A persistent sin, perhaps? Maybe a serious health crisis? Your Redeemer loves you and wants to bring LIGHT into your darkness.
Do you have an area of bondage that is holding you captive? Are you an unhealthy eater like I was? Do you harbor hurts until they fester into a spirit of bitterness? Do you have thought patterns about yourself that tear down your self-esteem and devalue the fact that you are "fearfully and wonderfully" made? Your Redeemer loves you and wants to bring you LIBERTY and set you free, sweet friend!
Are you discouraged? Do Isaiah's words in verse 4 describe how you feel deep inside about the daily mundane activities of your life? Do you feel little sense of purpose to your life? Well, rejoice! Your Redeemer loves you and wants to bring His LOVE into your life and give you HOPE!
What did your Redeemer show you about Himself as you read today's scripture passage and devotional commentary? I was reminded that:
- He came as both a Servant and a Warrior - serving those who trust Him and ultimately judging those who resist him (v.1-3)
- There probably were times when Jesus' earthly ministry seemed in vain too - the times the religious leaders of His day opposed Him - the times His disciples didn't seem to "get" what He was teaching. That gives me great hope when I am feeling frustrated in my areas of ministry. (v.4)
- He has made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver (v.2). My Mighty Warrior Redeemer keeps his quiver closely bound to Him, within easy reach of His hand and jealously guarded. That a place I sure like to be!
- He guides and leads me like a gentle shepherd (v.10) to places of refreshing.
- He cares for me as gently as a nursing mother cares for her baby (v.15)
- He has me engraved on the palms of His hands. (v.16) The Hebrew word translated "engraved" in this verse paints the picture of holding something so tightly in your hand that it cuts into your palm.
- His love is stronger than my strongest enemy. (v.25)
Add to the list, girlfriends. What did you learn about your Redeemer from Isaiah 49? Did some of Shannon Ethridge's commentary bless you in a special way today? Click on comment below and shout out your hallelujahs.
Your Redeemer loves you - and so do I!
2 comments:
HALLELUJAH!!!
And the servant DOES NOT worry about what is The Masters business!
This scripture along with Pastor Sam's sermon from a few weeks ago remind me that I am His to direct! My only "job" is to know Him and obey!
Thanks for doing as He directs!
BLESSINGS!
Reading my daughter's story book called Isaiah "Secret Resucue Plan-Operation No More Tears." God is out to rescue me. But like vs 6 says-"It is too small a thing..." His plan is to rescue as much as possible. His plans are bigger than my biggest plans. And what you wrote was such a good reminder that the routine is a part of accomplishing those plans of God. My husband and I are always talking about ways to redeem the time-standing in line at the store or waiting at a red light. -Amber
Post a Comment