Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Day 12 - OUR SOURCE OF BLESSINGS

Read: Genesis 26:1-33

Focal passage:


From there Isaac moved to Beersheba, where the Lord appeared to him on the night of his arrival. "I am the God of your father, Abraham," he said. "Do not be afraid, for I am with you and will bless you. I will give you many descendants, and they will become a great nation. I will do this because of my promise to Abraham, my servant." Then Isaac built an altar there and worshiped the Lord. He set up his camp at that place, and his servants dug a well. Genesis 26:23-25




1971 was an important year in my life. It was a time when I had recently recommitted my life to Christ and was greatly desiring to grow spiritually and know Him more intimately. I was 26 years old and a stay at home mom to three small children; a daughter in kindergarten, a year and a half old son, and an infant daughter. My days were full and busy. Hustling a 5 year old off to kindergarten every morning, chasing after an energetic toddler all day and nursing a baby; all the while trying to keep a house livable, laundry done, meals on the table and be some small modicum of a wife to a hard working husband didn't often leave me with much time for a consistent devotional life. As much as I desired to grow spiritually and know Christ more intimately, I wasn't finding the time to do what it took to reach those goals. I wasn't spending much time in the word, in Bible study or in prayer.



That's when Elaine moved into our neighborhood. She too was a stay at home mommy with three children. She had a second grade daughter, a daughter in the same kindergarten class as my oldest, and another daughter the same age as my son. Elaine and her husband were committed believers with a hunger for God's word and a zeal for sharing it with others through their incredibly gifted singing. She and I became the best of friends and God blessed my spiritual growth through her generous encouragement. She and I often had Bible study and coffee together around our kitchen tables while the children played at our feet. As days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months, our friendship grew and we became prayer partners. I don't think it was something we purposed to do. It just kind of evolved. As we studied together, we'd pray about what we felt God was teaching us. As we shared the daily struggles and frustrations all young wives have, we'd pray for one another. As we giggled together over some of our children's antics, or laughed about something dorky our husbands said, we'd joyfully thank God for His blessings in our lives. I loved her children. She loved mine. She was the closest thing to a true sister I'd ever had. Before long we were sharing the word of God and praying together almost daily - in person and on the phone.



Then came the summer of 1976 when Elaine's youngest and my middle child had just finished kindergarten. That August Elaine's husband was transferred to another city and she and her family moved away. I was in for a RUDE AWAKENING! As rich a blessing as Elaine's friendship had been in my life, when she moved away I discovered that I had become so accustomed to sharing my relationship with the Lord with her that I hardly knew how to talk to Him by myself! I found it difficult to study the Word and make application of what God was saying without Elaine's insights to guide my thinking. I found it difficult to pray without my prayer partner. God had richly blessed me and I had allowed His blessing to cause me to be dependant on someone other than Him for my spiritual growth. As devastating as I found the loss of my friend's closeness to be, God used her move also to abundantly bless. God desires a one on one, unique relationship with each of us. A relationship where we turn to Him for our individual needs and guidance. A relationship in which we each hear HIS voice with no background interference from others.



In the scripture we studied in this devotional, I think that's the same thing God was showing Isaac. God desires an intimate personal relationship with His children that is unique to them. Isaac grew up with a father who knew God intimately and served Him faithfully. God had covenanted with Isaac's father to bless him and make of him a great nation. But now Abraham had "moved away" from Isaac and into God's presence. God wanted Isaac to know Him for himself. Shannon Ethridge worded it this way: "God wants to interact with us directly and personally, not through someone else." (p.50)



God gave Isaac the same promises and blessings his father had received so that His covenant now encompassed Isaac and his descendants. Did you almost have to laugh when you saw Isaac do the same deceitful thing his father had done years before when, in fear of the men of Gerar, he lied that Rebekah was his sister and not his wife? Oh my! Doesn't that serve as a reminder of how our children learn as amply from our negative examples as they do from our positive ones. "Do as I say, not as I do" seldom gets very far with our kids, does it?



Our God, however, is the Source of all Blessings and He keeps His promises. He had promised to bless Isaac and He did. He blessed Isaac's crops and increased his wealth. Shannon Ethridge commented: "What a vivid reminder that God's goodness isn't dependant upon our goodness." (p.51) To that I can only say "Amen and Amen!" I believe there is increased blessing in obedience but I have also seen God's hand of blessing - His favor - His goodness, mercy and grace expressed in my life at times when my personal obedience was greatly lacking.



Isaac teaches us quite a lesson in how to respond to interpersonal conflict by his humble responses to the Philistines. The Philistine shepherds were jealous of Isaac's prosperity and either filled the wells Isaac dug with dirt or claimed the water as their own. Isaac chose not to retaliate and to simply move to another location and dig another well. I doubt I'd have been as longsuffering . . . at least not without without wearing my "martyrs" robe and sighing loudly. Isaac did it without showing signs of discouragement and God blessed him with peace with his pagan neighbors.



So what about you, sweet sister? Do you trust the same Source of Blessing that Isaac did?



HOLDING HIS HAND:

(1) Do I put too much stock in my family's relationship with God rather than pursuing a unique, personal relationship with Him myself?



(2) Do I truly believe God desires to bless me, in spite of my sin and shortcomings?



(3) Am I living at peace with everyone around me, or do I need the Lord to grant me discernment for how to respond to someone who is causing me grief?

2 comments:

Amber, Felicity, & Henry said...

I really appreciated the story you shared about your friend you prayed with. I could see that happening to me now that I think about it, so I am glad to have that insight.
1. I don't think I put too much stock in my family's relationship with God rather than persuing a relationship with Him myself. Perhaps I did do this when I was younger. I guess you could say I "own" my faith.
2. Grace is such an amazing thing. It is one of my "five fat files". My mom and I did a devotional once by Elizabeth George, and she talked about choosing five things that you are interested in and really learn as much as you can about them-reading books, study, and really being known for those things. Anyway, grace is one of them for me but I still have a long way to go.
3. I always need more discernment about how do communicate with people-perhaps they are not causing me grief though.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.pinskerdream.com/bloghoster/?u=videosealana2]Convert X to DVD 3.0.0.12[/url] [url=http://www.drawingboard.org/blogs/?u=videoseanima2]Nidesoft DVD to Zune Converter 3.0.20[/url]
123VideoMagic Pro Aiseesoft iPhone Movie Converter
http://www.answerbag.com/profile/1237441 Apollo No1 DVD Audio Ripper 1.2.29
[url=http://lecturer.elektrounesa.org/?u=videoseanastacia3]All to iPhone Converter[/url] [url=http://www.blogportalen.no/blog/?u=videosearielle0]NeuView Media Player Pro 6.0.8.0253[/url]
Fast Video Indexer 1.05 No1 Video Converter 4.1.47.2
http://www.blogportalen.no/blog/?u=videosearlene0 Video Get 1.1.0.14
Video Snapshots Genius 1.3.1
my icq:858499940385