Saturday, April 19, 2008

Day 9 - OUR SOURCE of POWER

A friend laughed at me the other day when she told be she was a day ahead of me in the Completely Loved devotional and I responded by saying, "I understand, I'm two days ahead of myself."

Getting "ahead of myself" has been a problem in my life for many years. My most fervent prayer throughout this current time of restoration God has been working in my life has been to keep in step with His Spirit. (Galatians 5:25) In one of Neil Anderson's books he illustrated this scripture by tying it to Matt. 11:28-30 where Jesus invites us to "take His yoke upon us." Picture two oxen in tandem yoke walking peacefully and steadily along. Then, in place of the oxen, picture yourself in tandem yoke with Jesus. If you pace yourself with Him, your burdens will become easy. But if you take a passive approach, you will be dragged along as He keeps walking. OR - if you race ahead (as I am often prone to do in my impatience for the instant gratification that has become so readily available in the culture of my times) . . . OR - if you take another direction (detours as a result of being distracted - something else I am often prone to) . . . THEN - the yoke will chafe and become uncomfortable. Oh, Father, Your Spirit gives me LIFE! Let me live my life in step with HIM!!

Where our devotionals are concerned, even though I can't always find time to post daily and write about the devotional, I have still read and prayed through them in my quiet times. Sometimes, that may mean that I've journaled through several devotionals in Completely Loved that I haven't gotten to write about yet. And sometimes, God has directed me to sit before Him a couple of days on the same devotional before my heart absorbs its truths. There are times I'm a slow learner! Other times, He may have taken me to scripture or study from another source because of something He is teaching privately in my life. I love HIS pace in my time with HIM. I don't love the fact that I sometimes don't get to write about the devotionals when they are fresh in my mind. BUT - I am learning to trust Him in that too and to trust His perfect timing.


Day 9 - Completely Loved by OUR SOURCE of POWER

Read: I Kings 17:8-24; II Kings 2:1-15; 4:1-37
Focal passage:

Then Elijah folded his cloak together and struck the water with it. The river divided, and the two of them went across on dry ground!

When they came to the other side, Elijah said to Elisha, "What can I do for you before I am taken away?" And Elisha replied, "Please let me become your
rightful successor." II Kings 2:8-9


My mother will soon be 84 years old and her closest friend these days is probably more than 30 years her junior. This morning, as I was telling my husband about the wonderful time the two of them had yesterday working in a mission effort at our church, he asked what I thought bonded them together since there is so much difference in their ages. That's easily answered. It's not "what" but "WHO" that binds them together. The Spirit of God. God's major call on my mother's life is to the ministry of intercession. Over the past 25 or more years, He has taught her mightily what it means to listen to Him and intercede for things that are dear to His heart. God has placed a similar call on my mother's friend. They meet frequently to pray together and almost always it's for causes WAY beyond themselves.

I explained to my husband that I saw their relationship being much like that of Elijah and Elisha. I firmly believe that when my mother's days on earth are done, this friend (and others she has taught along the way) will fill her place of intercession. They will disciple others to do the same. Those others will teach others to do the same. Isn't that what 2 Timothy 2:2 requires all believers to do? God will forever raise up His army of intercessors!!

And, God will forever raise up His prophets. Elisha dutifully served Elijah while he learned from Him about serving God as a prophet to God's people. My mother's friend serves her in many ways. Mom has quit driving at night because of her vision and her friend drives miles out of her way to pick Mother up and bring her home when they go to evening prayer or worship times together. She is ever considerate of Mother's age and physical capabilities. What a blessing!

In this devotional, we stepped into the story of Elijah and Elisha on the day Elijah was to be translated - taken into heaven in a supernatural way without experiencing death. If God had told you He was going to do that for you, wouldn't you have wanted a crowd around to watch so that it would be documented? I mean, after all, yes, it would validate your life and ministry but just think of all the glory it would garner for God by many witnessing it. Ahhh, but that wasn't Elijah's approach at all. Elijah had an intimate relationship with a God whose power he knew well. He was humble enough before his God to know he didn't need the witness of others for validation of his life's work. He knew the glory of God well enough to know that those who were only impressed by a supernatural work would only have superficial knowledge of His glory. Elijah desired to be alone when God translated him into His divine presence.

Ah, but the persistence of his disciple servant, Elisha! Elisha would not leave the side of his mentor. His greatest desire was to pick up where Elijah left off. Disciple Elisha, like his teacher Elijah, was humble and his desire was not for his own validation or fame; but for the work God had called him to. He wanted the same power from God that had been upon Elijah. His motivation for wanting the power was not for personal reasons but birthed solely from a longing to see God prevail in his generation. Elisha, like his mentor, had an intimate connection to his Creator and trusted Him for wisdom and power. If you've read the biblical recount of Elisha's life, you know that he grew personally over the years as he experience God providing for him, strengthening him and working miracles through him.

Shannon Ethridge's questions (p.38) were very thought provoking for me. Can I say the same thing? Am I drawing my strength through times of solitude with God? Am I trusting Him to provide for me? Do I expect Him to perform miracles through me? Am I allowing myself to be courted by my Creator so that I can know the fullness of His power and love? Please understand, if I answer those questions "yes," my affirmation is said with the greatest humility. There have been times in my life that I could not have responded with a positive answer to those questions. But because of what God is doing in my life right now, with all my heart, I say "YES." My "YES" has nothing to do with "me" and everything to do with my Heavenly Father. HE is my ultimate and only source of power.

I have a poem (that has been dear to me for many years) posted beside my quiet time chair. I pray that it will be as special to you as it is to me.


No new truth can be generated
in the midst of activity.

New life
springs from the placid pools of reflection.
Quiet meditation
and deep worship
are a prerequisite
if you are to receive my words
and comprehend my thoughts.

Some graces of the soul
are gained in motion.

Faith may be developed in action.
Endurance in the midst of storms and turmoil.
Courage may come in the front lines of battle.

But wisdom
and understanding
and revelation
unfold as dew forms on the petals of a rose
- in quietness.

Did not Jesus learn from his Father
through the silences
of lonely nights on the mountain?

Shall I not teach you likewise?

Will you, my child, set aside for me
these hours for lonely vigil
that I may have the opportunity
to minister to you?

(from Hearing God, by Peter Lord [p.189-190] 1988, Baker Book House)



HOLDING HIS HAND:
(1) Who are the people I spend the most time watching, listening to, and gleaning from? What exactly do I learn from them?

Hands down, the answer to that question for me is Beth Moore. But I have to say, the author I listed above is a minister whose teaching has had a profound effect on my beliefs over the years. For many years, he pastored a church in Titusville, Florida and I learned from reading his books, listening to his tapes, and hearing him preach at conferences. After nearly 20 years, his teaching on prayer (The 2959 Plan) is still the basis for the way my prayer notebook is structured today.

Where Beth is concerned - I have long felt that God's strong anointing on her ministry is in direct response to her very genuine humility before Him. Beth is one who is open in confessing her imperfections but one who loves God with a passion and abandon that is beautiful to behold. She continually gives Him all credit and all glory for any success she has achieved. She exemplifies a commitment to do God's will even when it requires the hardest decisions of her life.

I love her dearly and find her joy infectious. God continually uses all aspects of her teaching and ministry as an encouragement and a challenge for me to live my life in total abandon to Him. I want that kind of passion evident in my life. Do I want to "be" Beth Moore? No! I want to be just plain, old, 62 year old, wife, mother, grandmother, Beverly Wooley. But I want to be passionately sold out to Jesus like Beth is. I want to be genuinely open and humble before Him like Beth is. I want to serve other women in His name, grace and mercy like Beth does.

(2) Have I made the mistake of looking to other people as the source of power rather than looking to God Himself?

Undoubtedly, yes, at times. I have often succumbed to looking to others for affirmation . . . to trying to find my significance in another's opinion of me. God's changing that in my life. I'm learning to more consistently fix my eyes on Him. I'm learning that I may not be able to please others, but I can please Him. I'm learning (over and over and over again) that He is my ultimate and only source of power!

(3) Do I spend enough time with God to truly reflect His character and do the things that He would have me do in order to represent Him well?

1 comment:

Amber, Felicity, & Henry said...

Loved reading about the relationship between Elijah and Elisha. And I was so much struck by the question she asked, "Are we trusting Him to perform miracles through us?" I feel my answer to that question is a very loud no, which makes me sad.
1. People I glean from? Husband, Mom, You , and unfortunately TV. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned Beth Moore from reading her books/blogs. My mom would probably say that too.
2. Look to others rather than God? Sure, mainly I look to myself.
3. Time with God? I read a lot about that 2959 plan you mentioned. I am going to look into that more. I do have a consistantly inconsistant prayer journal for the last 2 years. I love doing this online thing, but it is so easy to get distracted. -Amber