I humbly apologise if it's frustrating to you to check and find no new posts. I hate that too! And I REALLY hate being the cause frustration or disappointment to others. It makes me feel like I am letting you down. I'm a bit ashamed to confess what a force to be reckoned with my frustration level at being interrupted and not being able to write when my heart is full really is. I get miserably grumpy and impatient! Trust me, it's not a pleasant sight!
I'm having to go back to Day 4 and remember that the little daily family responsibilities that interrupt my writing plans are supposed to be blessings to me - and others. I obviously haven't learned that truth too well and God's giving me additional opportunities to make application! GRIN!
Day 6 - Completely Loved by OUR CONSTANT COMPANION
Read: Genesis 5
Focal passage:
When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. And after he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. Altogether, Enoch lived 365 years. Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away. Genesis 5:21-24
Normally I copy the focal passage directly from our devotional book (which uses the NLT). Today, however, I copied the scripture from the NIV because the wording is a little different and I wanted to use it to illustrate a point (note bold emphasis of the word "after").
I read the comments of two of my favorite Bible expositors about Enoch this morning. F. B. Meyer writes: "The birth of Methuselah seems to have had a profound influence on his father. AFTER that he walked with God." And, Arthur W. Pink wrote: "The responsibilities of parenthood should always cast us more and more upon God."
Their comments reminded me of something Beth Moore wrote in one of her Bible studies. You know how Beth can always put a humorous spin on things! She wrote that Methuselah must have been the world's first strong-willed child because until he was born Enoch apparently had no need to walk with God but AFTER Methuselah was born it was a different story!
Boy can I relate to that! I laughingly tell people all the time that I raised three children of my own who are wonderful responsible adults and yet, at 62 and taking care these two little five year old munchkins, I find myself feeling like I need to be reading parenting books!
However, the truth of the matter is, I figure my three grown children are the wonderful responsible adults they are today more in spite of my "raising" than because of it! And, by that same theory, I suppose these two munchkins will turn out all right in spite their constant exposure to an over-indulging, poor disciplinarian Gran. They are daily an enormous blessing in my life but they have certainly taught me afresh what is involved in dealing with a strong-willed child. One of them, in particular, can go from absolute angel to terrible tyrant in zero to three seconds! I pray for wisdom a lot more today than I did five years ago - and that's a GOOD thing!
Didn't you love what Shannon Ethridge wrote (p.16) about hearing a child tell the story of Enoch being translated? "Enoch and God were such good buddies and walked together every day, until finally God said, 'You know, Enoch, we're closer to my house than we are to yours, so what do you say we just go on to my house?' "
Isn't it one of life's sweetest blessings to realize that the Heavenly Father who loves you is your CONSTANT COMPANION! He never leaves you nor forsakes you - no matter where you go. Even in our darkest times - when we may not see or sense Him - He is there. He is our constant companion.
Oh, how I long for my life to be a daily walk in communion with God as my Constant Companion. I want a walk with Him that implies steady progress. Not a run or a sprint or a leap - but a steady walk! I want to make forward progress in my pilgrimage, don't you? I've made way too many detours in my 62 years! I want to move forward!
Don't you suppose walking with God changed Enoch morally and spiritually? I want it to change me too. I want sin to become ever more abhorrent to me because my desire will continually be growing toward greater degrees of holiness. I want companionship with God to cause me to have a more humble estimate of myself because I will have learned the value of His grace in my life.
Moral and spiritual growth that results from daily walking in communion with God is something I've seen first hand. In the months since God has delivered me from the pit and set my feet back in the spacious place of His church, He has restored some friendships that I had before I ventured off into exile. Here's what has been so exciting to me - while I was wandering in the wilderness, these friends have "gone on with God." Many of them are different - deeper spiritually than I remember them. They have higher standards of holiness in their lives that are obvious. It's exciting when you can see the results of God's presence in believer's lives. I want people to be able to see change in me because of my companionship with God too, don't you?
Undoubtedly, as Enoch walked and talked with God, he became more and more intimately acquainted with Him. I want to grow in my knowledge of God too. It's one thing to talk about God - to reason and speculate about Him with friends. It's one thing to hear and read about God like we do in church and Bible studies. But it's quite another thing to truly KNOW Him. To truly know Him we must come into living contact with Him and have personal interactions with Him. My mother will be 84 years old next month and one day this week marked the 75th anniversary of the day she accepted Christ as her personal Savior. 75 years, girls!! Is that awesome, or what! One of the things I admire most about my mother is that she is continually seeking God's face as to how He desires to refine and direct her life. She is continually growing in her knowledge of Him. Her heart is so tender towards the working of her Heavenly Father in her life today that she can hardly even say the name of Jesus without her eyes filling with tears.
Knowing God as our Constant Companion and experiencing His steadfast love gives us a deeper appreciation for His person - the wonders of His nature - an absolute awe of His attributes. It gives us a greater enjoyment of His perfections and a more earnest concern for His glory. It fills our lives with a deep settled joy and peace.
Enoch's walk with God very obviously had a profound effect on his family. We'll look at his great-grandson, Noah, in the next devotional. I love what Shannon Ethridge wrote: "It stands to reason that the closer we walk with God, the more vivid an example our children (or in my case, grandchildren) have to follow in developing an intimate relationship with God themselves." (p.27) My heart's desire is that my walk with God would be obvious enough that my grandchildren can see Him through me and desire Him for themselves.
One of the quotes I have on the "Family" divider in my prayer notebook is from a calendar by Roy Lessin. I hope it blesses and encourages you. It certainly does me!
The greatest blessing you bring to your family is the presence of God in your life. The fragrance of His presence sweetens the atmosphere of your home . . . the beauty of His presence warms the relationships within its walls . . . the joy of His presence lightens every heart . . . the glory of His presence fills all its chambers with rare and precious treasures.
Amen and amen!
1 comment:
1. I do feel I can talk to to Him daily, then there are weeks I go by where I feel alone. Most of the time that is my fault, but I also know if I feel separated from Him, I don't have to rely on my feelings.
2. Can others tell a difference when I have spent time with him? Sometimes...But often that doesn't really make a huge difference for me. One thing it does do is help me worry less.
-Amber
Post a Comment