Luke 1:5-6
There was
in the days of Herod, king of Judea , a certain
priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah. His wife was of the
daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth .
And they
were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances
of the Lord blameless.
Luke
begins telling the Christmas story with the words “in
the days of Herod.” I know from prior study that "the days of
Herod" were a dark and oppressive time in the history of God’s beloved Israel . Four hundred
years before the days of Herod the prophet, Malachi, had promised the coming of
Elijah. But then for 400 hundred years there had been NO word from the Lord.
None! Why?
Amos
2:12 records God’s people as commanding His prophets not to prophesy. Zechariah
7:11-12 says this about God’s chosen ones: “..they
refused to pay attention; stubbornly they turned their backs and stopped up
their ears. They made their hearts as hard as flint and would not listen to the
law or to the words that the Lord Almighty had sent by his Spirit through the
earlier prophets.” In essence,
they stopped listening so God stopped talking. His silence spanned a period of
400 years from Malachi to Matthew. OMGoodness!
I don’t even want to imagine that!!
Jesus, forgive me when I stubbornly turn my back on what You are saying
to me because I selfishly want my own way. Oh Savior, let me never stop up my
ears to keep from hearing the sound of Your still small voice speaking to my
spirit. Help me keep my heart as soft and pliable in Your hands as wet clay
that is ready to be molded on the potter’s wheel.
Time
did not stand still for Israel
during God’s 400 years of silence. Significant events in history took place
that greatly affected the lives of God’s chosen people. Early on (around 336 BC), Alexander the Great
had conquered much of the civilized world. He was sympathetic to the Jews and
believed the world could be unified through humanistic and classical ideals
which included reason, the pursuit of knowledge and the arts, civic responsibility
and bodily development. Alexander believed everyone needed to be Greek in
language, outlook and way of life; whether they were of Greek ancestry or not.
For
this reason, he built the city of Alexandria in Egypt and
invited the Jews to come there to live. In 250 BC the Alexandrian Jews
translated the Pentateuch (the Jewish Law – the books of Moses) into the Greek
language. It was called the Septuagint.
In
168 BC a Syrian ruler, Antiochus IV stormed Jerusalem , entered the holy temple and stole the
treasures that were so precious to the Jewish people. A year later he banned
obedience to the Jewish law. He dedicated their temple to the Greek God, Zeus
(king of the gods in Greek mythology), and desecrated the temple by
slaughtering swine on the altar.
Then
came the rise of Herod the Great – the time period where Luke began his story.
Herod had been named King of Judea in 40BC by the Roman Senate where he was
often referred to as “King of the Jews.”
Herod was a tyrant of enormous proportion. Politically, he was a monster
of crime. He oppressed the Jews and left their political status deplorable.
Hearing
the words of the Lord and having God speak to them through His prophets was a
critical part of what had set the Jewish people apart spiritually for all the
centuries of their existence. It was a significant factor in their sense of identity and security. Herod now controlled their political and
governmental welfare but what happened to their spiritual identity during this “famine of hearing the words of the Lord” (Amos
8:11)?
During this time, their
spiritual leaders had become shackled by tradition; and in some cases,
corruption. Religion under the scribes had become mere empty form – a system of
ceremonies, rites, and rote recitations. Their sense of identity was shaken and
their security was shattered. They tried to find their security in keeping the
law – in legalism – which led to godless pride.
Oh mercy, Lord Jesus, we are so like our forefathers! The less we feel
Your presence the more insecure we become. The less we hear You speak because
we have grieved and quenched Your Spirit the more we revert to tradition and
legalism.
Historians
tell us that in spite of – or perhaps BECAUSE OF – the spiritual climate of the
days of Herod, this was a time of great spiritual hunger. It was a time of
great expectation and desiring the coming of the long promised Deliverer. I love Beth Moore’s words in Jesus, the
One and Only: “God used the withholding of His words to prepare for the
revealing of THE WORD.”
Into
a religious hierarchy steeped in tradition and corruption in the days of Herod,
Luke inserts “a certain priest named Zacharias.” Zacharias’ name means “Yahweh
REMEMBERS.” When God “remembers,” God
RESPONDS! ALWAYS!! God remembered His people who were oppressed and crying out for a
deliverer – hungry to hear a fresh word from the God of their fathers. God
remembered His promises. Even in the midst of a rebellious people to whom He
temporarily ceased speaking, God had promised to leave among them “the meek and humble who trust in the name of the Lord” (Zeph. 3:12). God remembered
and God responded. He reached down through 400 years of silence to a meek and
humble priest named Zacharias who trusted God as he went about serving in the
place of his life’s calling.
Luke
tells us that Zacharias and his wife “were both
righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the
Lord blameless.” Blameless. I
can’t imagine being described as “blameless.” Yet, Lord, when I look up the
Greek from which this word is translated, I find that it means: “one whose way
of thinking, feeling and acting is wholly conformed to the will of God.” Oh, Master, I want that to be true of me!
Like Zacharias, I want to be strong enough to obey Your word in its entirety. I
want my personal agenda to be YOUR agenda. I want to be steadfastly committed
to Your will. I want my increasing years to still count for Your glory and my
allegiance to You not to diminish. I want to keep dreaming of greater things
You might dare to use me to accomplish. Oh, Master, I want to fully TRUST You
in every detail of life. I want trusting You to become my life’s work. I want
trusting You to be the work of my lifetime. I’m 67 years old. I want to trust
You more today than I did yesterday. And I want to trust You EVERY single day You see
fit to leave breath in my body.
This
is my prayer today, Lord Jesus (from Calvin Miller’s The Christ of
Christmas): Jesus, I need Zacharias’
example. Make TRUST the appetizer to every feast of Your abundance in my life.
Then, too, make TRUST my meal, Lord. And for dessert I’ll have another helping
of the same!

No comments:
Post a Comment