Sunday, December 9, 2012

HOW CAN THIS BE?



Luke 1:34
Mary asked the angel, “How can this be, since I have not been intimate with a man?”

An innocent question asked by a naive teenaged girl. You didn’t mind her question, did you, Abba? It’s interesting - You DID mind when Zacharias asked a similar question. There wasn’t a lot of difference in the words Zacharias used and the ones Mary spoke. I have to believe that the difference was in the heart attitude behind the questions. Zacharias’s question seems more to be challenging the veracity of the angel’s statement. It seems to carry an undertone of doubt or skepticism. That would explain why he was punished for it, wouldn’t it? Mary’s question, on the other hand, was just a simple and sincerely asked question. Father, I thank You, that You are welcoming of our questions any time they are asked from a sincere heart honestly seeking understanding and revelation.

Our human minds like logic, order and reason. But sometimes, Father, those things can cause us to miss Your will completely, can’t they? If we rely on logic and reason alone, where does it leave faith? How often we want to explain what we cannot figure out. The older I get, Master, the more I’m coming to appreciate that some of Your mysteries will never be understood . . . at least not this side of heaven. Is that why I appreciate them more than I once did . . . because I’m drawing daily closer to heaven’s glory in this winter of my life and fast approaching the day when my faith will become sight?

Thank You, Father, for the mystery of salvation and new birth. Jesus said our new birth was like the wind; we can hear the sound of it but cannot tell where it came from or where it is going. My salvation and the changes being born again bring into my life is as mysterious and as CERTAIN as the wind; but, I embrace its mystery. I embrace its certainty. And. I praise You for my salvation though I do not understand its measure (Psalm 71:15)!

Thank You, Father, for the mystery of Jesus’ second coming. It is not for us to know the time or date . . . regardless of some ancient Mayan calendar. This is a mystery that thrills us with moment-by-moment anticipation. Maranatha, Lord Jesus!

Mary submitted herself to the mystery that Your “hows” are never very rational, didn’t she, Lord? She came face to face with Your sovereign will and the realization that she was not in charge of her own destiny. In an instant, her life changed forever. We live today, Master, more than two thousand years this side of Mary’s time and the birth of our Savior. But. Your sovereign will still exits. And. Your sovereign will can still change our lives forever. And. It can do so in an instant.

Oh, precious Father, wonderful things happen when the Holy Spirit comes upon us and the power of the Almighty overshadows us! It seems to me that when the mystery of Your sovereign will comes into our lives we basically have two choices. We can wrestle with You – which is what Zacharias did in the way he asked his question. Or – we can REST in You like Mary did. We can continue our quest for logic and reason and keep searching the unsearchable. Or – we can relax in the reality.

Father, help me be like Mary and give in fully to Your divine plan for my life without struggling. Help me have the innocence of Mary to ask only “how” and not “why.” Oh, may I REST in You. Move me, Master, from logic, reasoning, and perplexity to faith-filled purpose. Remove my over-loaded schedule and replace it with the Spirit’s promptings. Change my busyness with its frustrations to every good and perfect work You ordained for me. Be my audience of One. Let me seek Your approval – not man’s. Let me wait on Your timing. Let me lean on Your sufficiency. Let me depend on You for results.

You are great, and do wondrous things; You alone are God.
Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name.
I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And I will glorify Your name forevermore.
Psalm 86:10-12

No comments: