Saturday, December 1, 2012

DAYSPRING




SATURDAY  - December 1, 2012

THE DAYSPRING FROM ON HIGH
Luke 1:77-78
Through the tender mercies of our God,
With which the Dayspring from on high has visited us;
To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death,
To guide our feet into the way of peace.

Last Sunday morning during praise and worship in church I sang “love has come down – grace has a name – the name of the child is Jesus Christ ....”  and the Remembrancer brought to my mind the birth names of Jesus – EMMANUEL – WONDERFUL – COUNSELOR – THE MIGHTY GOD – THE EVERLASTING FATHER – THE PRINCE OF PEACE . . . and THE DAYSPRING FROM ON HIGH. The DAYSPRING. From. On High. Why have I never studied that name? I realized I didn’t even truly know what it meant. How I love that about You, Master. I have been Your child for nearly six decades and, yet, there are still countless new truths about You to learn! All week long this name, Dayspring from on high, has danced in and out of my mind and through my heart.

Dayspring is not a term we use today. Here in v.77 of the first chapter of Luke, it is a translation of the Greek word anatole which means “a rising of light” or “sunrise.”  In bible times, the word came to mean the direction of the sunrise – or east. When Matthew wrote that wise men came from the east (Matt. 2:1), he was literally saying, “wise men came from the direction of the rising sun.”

Sunrise – a daily occurrence I seldom witness as I have now grown older and accustomed to sleeping later – but one of the most beautiful times of the day.  Dawn: when the dark of night begins to dissipate as the first blushes of rosy-tinted color emerge along the eastern horizon and the night gives way to faint traces of light. It almost sparks a reverence in your soul.  It whispers promise. It anticipates freshness. It speaks the promise of the coming day – a day in which God’s mercies which are fresh and His faithfulness is great (Lam. 3:22-24).

Truly, Lord Jesus, Your birth was that dawn that softly whispered “PROMISE” and “HOPE” to a world shrouded in darkness. You were the light of a dawn that ushered in the tender mercy of God toward His people. Would You be in my day today, Jesus? It’s December 1st and signs of Christmas are all around me. My home is decorated to the hilt in the typical excess of my nature. I love the Christmas season.  I love the constant reminders of Your birth and life in all the festive decor. I love the symbols of love, peace, hope and joy that adorn my many Christmas trees. You bring those things to me through Your many blessings. Thank You for love. Thank You for peace. Thank You for hope. Thank You for joy. Jesus, thank You for being in my decorations. Use them as constant reminders of Your continual presence in my life.

The Christmas season is a busy time. It’s easy to become distracted by all the many things yet to do. Among the demands of life’s daily routines I have added Christmas activities on my "to do" list, Today I need to finish making Lisa’s tree skirt, move my Christmas china into the kitchen cabinets, and finish my Christmas card labels. Jesus, would You be in my little mundane activities and fill them with meaning because of Your presence?  

Jesus, I thank You for the heritage of a mother and grandmother who were sheer artists with a needle and thread. I thank You for the time they invested in teaching me their skills. I thank You that I am able to use something as simple as sewing to bless a daughter who is more precious to me than life itself. I thank You for Your priceless gift of FAMILY and how richly You have blessed Roy and me with the children, grandchildren and great-grandchild You have given us.

Thank You for lovely dishes to move. Christmas china is an extravagance many do not have. I feel blessed. No – my “china” is not really china. They are just inexpensive dishes I’ve had for years and many of them have become scratched and worn; but I love how pretty the table looks when it’s set with them. Thank You for helping me understand that dishes are not important – PEOPLE are. Thank You for opening my heart this season to invite people in – even, Lord, missionaries we’ve never met who will stay with us in a couple of weeks. Thank You for shining Your light on my insecurities as a hostess and dispelling it’s darkness. Would You bless the food that is served on these plates? Would You be in the midst of the conversations around the table? Would You grace our guests and our family with Your presence?

Thank You, Jesus, for the opportunity to address Christmas cards. I might not even have sent cards this year had You not prompted me to buy them after Christmas last year. Now, here they are. A plentiful supply - ready and waiting. Sending cards means more to me this year than any other. With the church-split we endured in January many of our friendships changed. Thank You for the opportunity sending a Christmas card gives me to say to some I seldom see any more “I still love you – I pray often for God to bless you.”  Grant me discernment and wisdom from Your Spirit as I pray over each card I address. Thank You for the precious privilege of prayer and knowing that You hear and answer.

With each new day there is a time when those first soft hints of dawn give way to a glorious moment when the first fires of the sun appear and this colossal fireball rises in unspeakable splendor. It infuses the earth with its warmth and beauty and life-giving rays. Rise in my life today, Jesus. Fill me with the warmth of Your love. Fill me with the beauty of Your countenance. Fill me with Your life-giving Spirit. Jesus, be in my December 1st. Be in every thought. Be in every action. Rise Dayspring from on high!  

No comments: