Luke 1:38
“Then Mary
said, ‘Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your
word.”
Holy Lord God,
I have read Mary’s response to Gabriel’s announcement so many times over the
course of my life. Every time I read it, I marvel at her faith. What prepares
someone for that kind of response? I mean, she’d just been told that her life
as she knew it would never be the same again. She must have had a myriad of
thoughts and fears running through her mind. Surely she was wondering how her
parents and Joseph would react – would they believe her – would her friends and
family scorn her. Goodness, Father, she even had reason to fear for her life –
according to the laws of her day, she could have been stoned to death. Instead,
after asking only one simple question, she surrendered her own will in complete
abandonment to Yours. What prepares someone for that kind of response?
Somewhere
along the way in her short teenaged life, Mary must have developed a deep and
profound love for You to trust You so completely, Father. Oh, Lord God, how her faith puts me to shame.
What I see in Mary’s example is that she was willing to trust You with the
outcome without knowing what that outcome would be. She was willing to trust You
will all her questions and confusion. She was able to let go of her fears. I
marvel at that, Lord! Mary was willing
to personally pay the price to be obedient to whatever You asked of her. She
gave You her reputation. She gave You her hopes. She gave You all her dreams of
the future. Father, YOU chose Mary . . . but MARY chose her response – and it
wasn’t an emotional response. It was a faith-filled response born of trust and
obedience.
Father, I want
that kind of faith. I look at Mary’s example and find my own responses to Your
Sovereign will in my life sadly wanting. I firmly believe that everything that
happens in my life comes filtered through Your fingers of love and You have
either allowed it or ordained it. Yet, even in this past year, events have
occurred in my life that have abruptly interrupted life as I knew it . . . or,
perhaps I should say – life as I WANTED it. Too many times, Lord, my responses
have been emotional instead of faith-filled. I have run the whole gamut of
emotion in my responses – from hurt and disappointment to anger and
depression. I thank You for forgiving me
when I have failed the tests of faith and obedience that have come into my
life. I thank You for using them to teach me that I have the power to CHOOSE my
response.
Father, Mary
understood humble submission to You when she was only a teenager. I have known
Jesus as my Savior for 59 years!! I am far removed from being an innocent teenaged girl. I am sixty-seven years old. I am in the
winter of my life whether I like to admit it or not. And, yes, Father – I am
blessed with good health. I don’t mean that I feel like I may die at any moment
but it’s only realistic to assume the days of life that are behind me are now
far greater than the ones yet ahead of me. That fact creates a greater sense of
urgency in me. When I recognize my deficiency in some spiritual grace, Father, I
often find myself wondering, “if I don’t get a handle on this NOW, will I ever?”
I have EXPERIENCED Your love and
faithfulness all these many years. I enjoy Your participating presence in my
life in meaningful relationship. You fill my life with purpose and joy. And,
yet, Lord, I so often fail to have the simple trusting obedience to Your
sovereignty that Mary did.
Father, I want
to receive whatever message You have for me today, even if it interrupts and changes
my life. I certainly don’t expect Gabriel to fill my room with his radiant
light. I have your Word. It shines its light on my sin. It reveals Your will to
me. It brings me Your message of hope and peace. It lays out for me the path
You desire me to walk. I want Your Holy Spirit to come upon me with His
creative power even if it means I must sacrifice my “reputation.” Oh, Lord God, I want to know You and love You
with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Grant me an unquenchable thirst
for more of You. Let me hunger for You more than I hunger for anything the
world has to offer.
Representations
of Mary with baby Jesus are throughout my home in all my Christmas decorations.
Let me look upon them with fresh awareness, Lord, and see them as Your call to
daily, trusting obedience to Your will. Let me see them as Your call to chose faith-filled responses to life’s
interruptions. Be it unto me as YOU will, my precious Abba. Break the pride in
me that resists humble surrender.

No comments:
Post a Comment