Monday, December 3, 2012

ADVENT




Yesterday was the beginning of ADVENT. It’s interesting. Advent is actually such an ancient observance; yet, growing up in non-liturgical churches (mostly Baptist) I don’t recall ever hearing the term. Even yesterday morning, my husband looked at the kitchen calendar and announced, “Today is Advent.” Then quickly asked, “What do you do on Advent? Is that when you give a gift every day?”  LOL I suspect my sweet hubby has advent confused with Hanukkah.  I guess our being asked to light one of the advent candles at church last year did not make much of an impression on him. GRIN

In my study about Advent a few years ago, I learned that the word comes from Latin, meaning “the coming.”  The Advent season was probably instituted as early as the 6th century and by the 13th century, its celebration was a part of church tradition. It was a time of fasting and inward preparation for commemorating the coming of Christ.

Advent is much more than a one-day celebration or even something you recognize by lighting a candle each Sunday in December. It’s a month to be still and remember the God of our past, present and future. As we anticipate His first coming as the Baby of Bethlehem, we celebrate His presence in the present and we prepare for His second coming as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

For the last number of years in my Christian pilgrimage, I have made it a practice to base my devotional time throughout the month of December on Christmas and the birth of Christ. I counted seventeen Christmas themed devotional books on my bookshelf a while ago! I love to read about the characters involved in the nativity ... to insert myself into their stories and ponder what the event would have felt like to be a part of that time in history. I love to discover things about their response to God’s sovereign plan that encourages me to trust Him more fully in my life today. Most of all, I find that amidst all the hustle and bustle and busyness of the holiday season, spending time reflecting on the REASON for the SEASON keeps me focused on the only thing that’s really important – Jesus.

Lord Jesus, Christmas has always held a special fascination for me. Yet, no matter how many Christmases I have celebrated, every year I seem to look forward to focusing on Your birth with brand-new anticipation. Every year I sing hymns, choruses and carols extolling Your names and Your coming. I sing words like “Emmanuel – God incarnate here to dwell” and I am astounded by the complexity of the simple truth that You would CHOOSE to become a man. Every year Your holy light shines brighter in my heart than the twinkling bulbs on Christmas trees or the candles emitting a golden glow and my heart is drawn to deeper worship. Your holiness awakens my spirit to awestruck wonder. This year You have given me a fresh glimpse of Yourself as the Dayspring from on high and a new dimension of desire for You has dawned in my soul. Oh, sweet Savior, YOU take the ordinary things of the Christmas season and make them profoundly extraordinary!

Every year I breathe in the familiar scents of evergreens, cinnamon and peppermint. I bask in the glow of decorated trees and smiles of delight on the familiar faces of family and friends and I realize, these are Your gifts to me – and they are gifts of GRACE – far more than I could ever deserve or expect. You, Lord Jesus, have dealt bountifully with me.

Jesus, You make all the commercialism of Christmas that has become such a constant in my culture fade to insignificance. You reveal the glitzy grabbing and artificial joy for what it is. For You, sweet Jesus, are the best gift of all – the ONLY gift that truly matters. Without You, I am nothing. You give my life meaning. You are my Savior and my salvation all the day long. You are my Shelter in every storm ... the Strong Tower where I run and am safe ... You are my joy – my song ... my all!

Jesus, thank You for divesting Yourself of all Your Godly Glory and humbling Yourself to come to earth as a man to die on a cruel cross. Thank You for being the Hope of Glory – for preparing even now to split the eastern sky in the twinkling of an eye. But, Jesus, like the angels who penetrated the cloven skies to bring God’s message to Zacharias, Mary and Joseph, YOU still penetrate this world today with the reality of Your presence. Oh, how I praise YOU ... I invite You to fill my little world with the anticipation of Your participating presence in all I say and do. Jesus, be in my day. Jesus, be in my Christmas. Jesus, be in me!

Thank You for Advent and the opportunity to be nostalgic in remembering Your goodness in Christmases past. Thank You for confident hope as I look toward the future and know my eternity with You is secure. And, oh Jesus, THANK YOU for the joy of experiencing Your presence in my daily reality. You are the Jesus who loved me when I was a child and "yet a sinner." You are the Jesus who will be the first face I see when I step into eternity. And You are the Jesus who fills my days with purpose and meaning.

I am Yours, Master, and because I am, today I choose to:
  • live by faith - not by what I see
  • walk in the Spirit - not my fleshly nature
  • trust You and depend on You - not myself
  • be gracious - not unforgiving
  • love You - not the world
  • live in victory - not defeat
  • be stilled and quieted - not anxious
  • be kind and gentle - not rude and harsh

Today I choose You, Jesus. In You I live and move and have my being.

No comments: