Sunday, December 16, 2012

MARY'S SONG



LUKE 1:46-55 - THE SONG OF MARY (Mary's Magnificat)

This passage of scripture has long been one of my favorites, Father. And now, in this Christmas season, I have found myself meditating on it again for the past several days. It always reproves me. I hear these words of praise flow from Mary’s mouth at a time that must have been the most fragile and vulnerable time of her life. She was in the midst of circumstances that had greatly shaken life as she knew it. Yet, from her mouth came no “woe is me” – no “pity party” – no SELF focus at all – only PRAISE for You, Lord God. Your Word teaches me that “out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.”  That means, the abundance of Mary’s heart was filled with praise and thanksgiving to You. Yes. Again. This reproves me, Master. In recent months when I have been “shaken” by circumstances beyond my control; praise was not the initial response that spilled from my lips. Perhaps that is because the abundance of my heart is filled with SELF. Oh Master, I hate that!! I long to be so full of You that when I am shaken, YOU are what spills out! Thank You for Your mercy and grace as You continue to strive with me to teach me what it truly means to die to self and follow You. I have SO much still to learn!!

The praise that flowed from Mary’s mouth was not just any praise. It was SCRIPTURE. Every word that Mary spoke was rooted and grounded in Old Testament scripture. She had a deep and abiding knowledge of Your character and Your ways, Father, and that knowledge was based upon the truth of Your Word. In Mary’s day, girls were not taught the scriptures in synagogue school like boys were. So. For the abundance of Mary’s heart to be so filled with Your Word that her mouth spoke it, that says to me that Mary had absorbed the Word into her very being as she heard her father speak it in her home, her brothers work on reciting it, or heard it read in synagogue. It says to me that Mary had a hunger for You as a child, Lord God, and she fed her spirit with truth. She grabbed hold of Your Word and internalized it. She meditated on it. She memorized it. And, it FILLED her heart. Those very truths from Your Word are what gave her the knowledge of Your character and helped her know she could trust Your plan.  Oh Master, this too reproves me. How little of Your Word fills my heart in comparison to the multiplied opportunities I have had over the years to hear it, learn it and memorize it!

Master, may I sing Mary’s song of praise to You this morning from my own heart? I love You, Lord ... and I DO lift my voice (as pitiful as it is) to worship You. For You are great – and greatly to be praised.
46 And Mary said:
“My soul magnifies the Lord,  Forgive me, Father for how often I selfishly “magnify” and draw attention to myself instead of to You. I long for the genuine humility Mary had but find myself so steeped in godless pride! Enable my heart to cry as John the Baptist did – “He must increase ... but I must decrease.” Remind me continually, Lord – it’s not about me. It’s ALL about YOU. Without You, I can do nothing of lasting value.

47 And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.  Teach me, Master, to lay aside my generational tendency toward negativity and REJOICE with gladness in YOU. When circumstances are dark in my life, I want my FIRST instinct to be shining YOUR light on them!

48 For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
This is Your grace, precious Lord. Grace that gives me what I could never deserve or earn. Grace that, indeed, makes me SO blessed! Oh, thank You for Your grace! Abundant. Amazing. GRACE!!

49 For He who is mighty has done great things for me,  Yes. You have done GREAT things for me, Father. You sent Your Son to redeem me from the penalty of sin and make me Your child. You gave me salvation – though I can never fully comprehend its measure!

And holy is His name.  HOLY is Your name. Oh how precious are the many names and descriptions of You in scripture, Lord. You have taught me to worship You on a whole new level as I meditate upon Your names; for every name tells me about Your character but also about something You want to do in my life. Thank You!! Thank You for Your great holiness that brings me to my face in worship before Your throne.

50 And His mercy is on those who fear Him
From generation to generation.
You are a God of justice. Thank You for knowing I can trust YOU to contend with those who contend against me. You are a God of mercy. You have taught me that I can extend mercy and forgiveness toward those who hurt me and trust You for justice. You are a God of mercy. Your mercies are fresh every morning. Thank You for extending Your mercy and blessing generation after generation in my family. The godly heritage granted me through family lines is not a blessing I take for granted, Lord. Thank You!!

51 He has shown strength with His arm;
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
52 He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
  Your power, O God, is unequalled. Nothing is impossible for You. No problem I could ever have would be too difficult for You to handle. How I praise You for Your awesome omnipotence. ALL power and honor and blessing and glory is YOURS, O God my Savior! Mary lived in a time of great political oppression. Many today are gravely concerned about the politics of our current culture. But YOU, O God, are above all the kings and princes (and presidents) of the world.

And exalted the lowly.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things,
Your goodness, O God, fills my life. You have filled my life with good things. You are my portion and the joy of my heart.

And the rich He has sent away empty.  You are a benevolent God and meet our every need. Forgive us for confusing “needs” and “wants.” Forgive our endless excess and greed. Help us extend our hand to bless others in every way we can.

54 He has helped His servant Israel,
In remembrance of His mercy,
55 As He spoke to our fathers,
To Abraham and to his seed forever.”
  Great is Your faithfulness, Father. You have extended Your covenant to us and made us Your children. Thank You for being a faithful Covenant Keeper! I will sing of Your love forever!

No comments: