Sunday, December 2, 2012

DRAWN TO DAYSPRING'S LIGHT



Oh, beautiful Dayspring from on high, when wise men followed Your star to Bethlehem and came to the rising of Your dawn they fulfilled this word of prophecy spoken by the prophet, Isaiah, hundreds of years before. Drawn by Your light – they came. And drawn by Your light, I came, as an eight year old child who only knew I wanted Jesus – not in a manger and not on a cross – but in my heart!! And drawn by Your light I have come over the course of these many years to bask in the warmth of Your love. Drawn by Your light I have come to rejoice and, sometimes, to even dance in the sweetness of Your presence. Drawn by Your light I have come pleading, at times, for Your light to dispel the darkness of my soul. Drawn by Your light I have come to exchange my grief and brokenness for Your peace. Drawn by Your light I have come seeking guidance and direction. Oh, precious Dayspring from on high, You have never failed me. Great is Your faithfulness! Barak hashem Adonai – Blessed be the name of the Lord!!

When Zacharias held his son and prophetically called You “The Dayspring from on high,” it , like Isaiah’s, was a prophesy You would fulfill ... but in much less time. Zacharias knew his son, John, would point others to the knowledge of salvation (Luke 1:77). While John’s life and ministry would be a bright and shining light, it would seem dim in comparison to You, the Light of the WORLD ... the Dayspring from on High.

Zacharias spoke of three things You, the Dayspring from on high would do (Luke 1:79):
  • You would give light when we sat in darkness
  • You would give light when we were in the shadow of death
  • You would guide our feet into the way of peace


Without even understanding all the theological truths about the depravity of man, my little eight year old self understood I needed salvation when Your light allowed me to see that the SIN You died for was MINE. In all the years since, Savior, You have shined that same light and illuminated my sins so that I might confess them to You and receive Your cleansing. Be in my life today – this very moment – shine Your light in the darkest recesses of my heart. Let Your light reveal the things in my life that are not pleasing to You. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

Oh, precious Dayspring from on high – the times I have known sorrow and grief – the times the storms of life have threatened to overwhelm me – You have always been there. Your comfort is like no other’s! Thank You for being light – and love – and strength – and hope in my times of pain. Thank You for speaking truth to me – for truly, it’s Your truth that sets me free. When my heart ached recently for a grandchild falsely accused, betrayed by family members who should have loved him best; You softly whispered that You hung on a cross falsely accused ... that some of Your own family members stood with Your accusers ... and, yet, from that cross You asked Your Father to forgive them. Dayspring from on high, You shined a different light on the situation than ever would have come forth from my own sinful heart. You showed me I could choose NOT to take offense  - though the choice was far from easy. I could pray for the accusers and I could trust YOU for the results. Thank You for being in my sorrow, grief (and anger) and for shining Your light and Your truth.

Oh, holy Dayspring from on high, thank You for guiding me in the way of peace. Truly Your peace is beyond understanding. Thank You for the guidance You give when I am confused about what to do. You speak so clearly through Your Word ... and I am grateful. More than anything, Master, I want the way that I walk ... the life I live ... to bring honor and glory to who You are. Thank You for Your continual light to show me the way. Would You help me today – this moment – to keep in step with Your Spirit? I do not want to run ahead and I do not want to lag behind. Help me walk in perfect cadence with Your Holy Spirit as though I am in a tandem yoke with Him.

Be in my worship at church this morning, Jesus. Be in my conversations. Be in my actions.  Be in my Christmas, Jesus. When the lights on my many Christmas decorations shine, use them to remind me that YOU are the Dayspring from on high and draw me to YOUR light.

No comments: